Best Support System For A 6 Tier Wedding Cake??

Decorating By suzannesaucepan Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 8:40am by sweettreat101

suzannesaucepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannesaucepan Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 7

I have a very large 6 tier wedding cake due in September. I've never done anything higher than 4 tiers. Any advice on the best support system? I've been using standard wooden dowels with cake boards, but will that support 6 tiers? I also have to transport the cakes by jet ,frozen, and decorate them in another country!! Any advice? I don't live in the states so I'm limited to what I can use. Please help!!!!

6 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 7

Wow...large order here but I think SPS could be the answer to your prayers. I would NOT transport this cake assembled but in seperate containers. but you could put it on SPS and then when you get there lock it together for stability. Leah S would know more about this.

Cat

suzannesaucepan Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:05am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your suggestion Cat, was definitely going to transport it seperately,can't imagine trying to hold that thing together in the back of a plane icon_wink.gif Is SPS a system you have in the states? I think I've seen it before- is it a plastic plate that locks into plastic pillars? I will check to see if my local go-to cake decorating shop has it, but I doubt they do. they have the wlton stuff only. Could you suggest a way I can replicate it? Thanks so much for all your advice- It's greatly appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

Suzanne x

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 7

I recently made a 5 tier cake which was sort of 6 tier because one of the tiers was extra tall. I used dowels and decided after that I was going to use SPS. Unless you get those dowels PERFECTLY straight, your cake may start leaning. To find out what SPS is and how to use it, check out this link:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

Also, globalsugarart.com is a good site and they will ship internationally. They carry SPS. I found it for you here:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=887&s=&name=BAKERY%20CRAFTS/Bakery%20Crafts%20Pillars%20&%20Plates%20-SPS%20System%20-

HTH!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 7

Oasis Supply also carries SPS and they might ship internationally. I never use anything else!

suzannesaucepan Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:40am
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much for the advice ladies- will definitely check it out xx

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:40am
post #7 of 7

I use Stress Free cake supports. I purchased them online you should be able to order and have them shipped to your home. They are wonderful. They save so much time and I can throw them in my dishwasher. http://www.stressfreecakes.com/public/ They are a little pricey but well worth it. I have made my money back and then some with added piece of mind. I don't have to worry when I use these supports. I have had problems with dowels in the past and wouldn't use them on such a tall cake. Like someone else said they have to be cut perfect especially on extremely tall cakes. I use the support rings with cakes that are decorated on card boards. No need for fancy plastic plates with the stress free supports.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%