Topsy-Turvy Help!!

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm by Sassy74

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 5

I'll be the first to admit: I'm an idiot icon_mad.gif I'm in the process of making a topsy-turvy and for the middle tier I have a lemon cake that I filled with blueberry filling (preserves mixed with buttercream). My other two layers are as solid as a rock because I used ganache for the filling. I should have done the same with the middle because the blueberry turned the cake to mush! I crumb coated it the best I could and now it's in the fridge. It was really slidding around so I'm concerned that once it comes to room temp it will be a disaster. Should I just leave this tier out? It's just for a family gathering so it doesn't matter - I already have way too much cake! The bottom tier is 8,9,10" and the top is 4,5,6" - will that look out of proportion or should I just go ahead and see what happens with the middle tier? I can keep it in the fridge but it does need to travel about 45 minutes on Sunday. Thanks for any advice!!

4 replies
Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 5

I don't think it would look out of proportion at all if you do decide to leave that tier out. I recently did a TT that was the exact same sizes, and it looked great.

If you were covering in fondant, I'd say ganache that sucker haha! A good firm ganache would help support the cake and you have time for it to set up if it's for tomorrow.

I'm not sure what help I can offer on the middle tier. Has the cake had a chance to settle? Did you fill/stack it yesterday or right away? Maybe get it out of the fridge in a couple of hours, let it sit for a while and see how it acts. If it feels stable you might be able to go with it. But if you can't, be assured that the sizes you have now will look great together!

cherrycakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll definitely try taking the tier out for a couple of hours to check the stability. I wish I had some white chocolate ganache on hand icon_sad.gif

It's also very reassuring to know that the proportions will work even if I leave that tier out!

By the way... I just checked out your photos - I love your nautical topsy-turvy! You've sold me on Sugarshack's DVD!

Thanks again!!

cherrycakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 5

Well I took your advice and let the middle tier sit out for a couple of hours. It didn't move so I used it and it actually held together! Thanks again for your help and next time I'll know to use ganache all the way through!
LL

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 5

WOW! That looks awesome! I love the bright colors, and the daisies look fantastic!

I'm so glad that middle tier held up for you...a 3 tier is really impressive! After my last TT experience, I'll NEVER do BC under fondant again. The ganache sets up so nicely that you're just not worried about your cake collapsing. And you can get such sharp, neat edges...just better all the way around.

Absolutely, get Sharon's DVDs if you can! I have all of them, and they are WON-DER-FUL. She goes step by step, and makes the directions so clear. I had her dvd playing the whole time I was doing my TT, and it felt like she was right there with me giving me instructions lol .

So glad your TT came out great! Good job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%