Wish I Would Have Know This About "duff Fondant" .

Decorating By apetricek Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm by apetricek

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 9:28am
post #1 of 18

So as much as I swore I wasn't going to buy Duff fondant, to feed into the hype of all the new stuff at Michaels...well I needed some fondant last minute...and had a 50% off coupon so picked up a bucket of the buttercream flavor...WELL>>> what a nightmare! First off you have to make sure you don't microwave it too much or it is like using bubble gum...yes according to the bucket you have to microwave it...I am a satin ice lover all the way, so this was different for me...anyway...Yes, it was easy to cover my rice crispie treat scultpture, and mold it, but it never set up and dried or got firm....I made it 4 days ago...It was like a limp noodle....so I needed to airbrush it...OMG that was a bigger nightmare...the color DID NOT absorb into the fondant, and actually beaded up on it...which resulted in it looking like CRAP!!! I did a freebie harry potter cake for my niece, and made the sorting hat and a wand, and needless to say they looked horrible. I dusted them with cocoa powder which made them at least look presentable. SO needless to say save yourself the money, time and effort and don't bother with this "fondant" although I am hesitant to actually call it that...So back to Satin Ice for me only....thanks but NO thanks Duff......

17 replies
korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 18

Interesting.... Before on the show you always saw satin ice on the shleves in the background.

Thanks for the info. Now we know to use it with caution.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 18

Oh bummer....sorry that happened to you. When we're in a pinch is when we have all the problems it seems. I'm cautious of ANY fondant that says to microwave it because my experience in the past has been that it causes the fondant to become quite greasy - doesn't matter what brand it all gets greasy. That might have happened with the Duff fondant and therefore affected the airbrushing, the not getting firm, etc.

I have a bucket of black Duff fondant (I HAD to taste it to see what it was like) and it's not too hard in the bucket. I find that if I just cut off a blob and knead it in my warm hands it does soften up so microwaving isn't necessary.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 18

I wonder if his fondant is the same as Fondarific, but just with his name on it. Fondarific doesn't dry, and that sounds like what you are dealing with. I do remember from one of his shows Duff talking about using Fondarific. Yes, I have also seen the Satin Ice fondant on the show too.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 18

Sorry your experience with the Duff fondant wasn't a good one. It's a new product so it's good to get feedback (positive and negative). Here's my experience with it- I love the taste, I found working the fondant in my hand was enough to soften it, no need for the microwave, it doesn't work well with the cricut cake, even after adding tylose it doesn't dry well, covers a cake fine, great for accents. The kids love the stuff.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 18

I tried just the white buttercream fondant, and I didn't like it at all. I found it to both smell and feel overly greasy, it didn't roll well, and it seemed to taste like buttered popcorn.

I wonder if mixing it half and half with Wilton would yeild good results though?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyndmy

I tried just the white buttercream fondant, and I didn't like it at all. I found it to both smell and feel overly greasy, it didn't roll well, and it seemed to taste like buttered popcorn.

I wonder if mixing it half and half with Wilton would yeild good results though?

I read about someone mixing it with some Wilton and they liked the result a lot--good taste AND good workability!

My understanding is that Duff's is chocolate/candy melts based--that would explain a lot of what the experienced--a bit greasy, very sensitive to overheating (would separate the fats easily), not absorbing color, etc.

If this is correct, it's a shame that they don't tell people because it really does alter the way you work with the fondant.

Rae

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 18

Seeeee...and all this time I thought he was a devout Albert Uster's user...Where DID I get that thought????

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 18

I bought the black and really liked it. I used it to cover the graduation cap i just loaded. It was ROCK hard when I opened the package so microwaved it for about 10 or 15 seconds and then worked it. It was perfect!

I get frustrated with fondant that is too soft because I do a lot of figures and stuff... With the 50% off coupon, it isn't bad. Black tastes really good too... Oh... and I kneaded the whole package used what I needed and put it away, went back the next day for more and it had hardened up a little but not nearly as hard as it was initially.

Don't know about the other colors... But I do like black and will buy it again.. Satin Ice on the other hand... I am tired of it disintegrating when I add color...

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Seeeee...and all this time I thought he was a devout Albert Uster's user...Where DID I get that thought????

Gee, I don't know..........never saw him use/hawk AU.....

He has a deal w/Fondarific for his fondant at Michael's and apparently a deal w/Satin Ice for stuff thru DecoPac.

Rae

all4cake Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 18

When the show first started, and the fondant wasn't in the delivery and they were panicking about the missing fondant and he was "in the weeds" without that fondant...it was Albert Uster's he was using.

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 18

Oh, I remember that..........I think it was AU Modeling Chocolate that he was stressing about.

Rae

Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 18

The ONLY thing I like Duff fondant for is the clay gun. It is so soft that it pushes through without killing my hand. I LOVE my Satin Ice.

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 9:32pm
post #15 of 18

I've never used duff's fondant, but I have made my own bc fondant, a recipe here on CC. I will never ever use anything else.. until I find something better, but mine tasted just like bc and it was easy to work with. It didnt dry, but its not suppose to get hard like regular fondant. I had a hard time working with it in the humidity at my parents house in Charleston SC, but at my house (100 miles north) I've yet to have a problem with it..

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:14am
post #16 of 18

I use fondarific and it is hard when you open the tub, but it says to microwave it 10 seconds per pound. Once I do that - it's great! I think fondant brands are one of those things that you either like or hate.

Here is another Duff fondant thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-682694-0.html

all4cake Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:21am
post #17 of 18

I seen that one too...I was recollectin' an old posting..

I reckon (from the looks of the various items he's helping to promote), that he ain't no different than the rest of us...he uses whatever works whenever it's convenient and cost effective.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #18 of 18

I used the black as well...my complaint with that was that it was very "gritty" and not anywhere as smooth as Satin Ice...the color was great, I think a bit darker than Satin Ice, but still not enough for me to solely use that....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%