Whipped Icing Under Fondant?

Decorating By Ambrene Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 3:58am by patticakesnc

Ambrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambrene Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:41am
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake next week that will be covered in fondant. The woman ordering the cake requested whipped icing. Relatively new to the cake decorating world, I haven't made whipped icing yet and am nervous to use it in decorating. Is it too soft to use under fondant? As an alternative, I don't have to cover the cake entirely in fondant, but there will be numerous fondat/gumpaste decorations on it. I'm wondering if these will sink into the whipped icing? This woman said that I don't have to use whipped icing if it's a problem, but I'd like to honor her request. Any tips/recipe suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:44am
post #2 of 3

I use the whipped cream buttercream (in recipes) under fondant and it is fabulous. I substituted the crisco for 1/2 HR shortening and 1/2 butter and it was even better. I would highly recommend it. I did not find it too soft at all and I also filled the cake with it. I did my blackberry cake with it (in my photos).
Another good whipped BC icing is Sugarshacks and it crusts nicely too if you just want to do BC...Good luck!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:58am
post #3 of 3

I just did a cake using Sams Club whipped icing (that is what they wanted). It is more of a cool whip consistency and no I would not put fondant over it. It softens very quickly and I know it would run out from under it as soft as it gets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%