Im New And Have A Few Questions??

Decorating By CutiePiesCakes Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 8:19am by sweethaven09

CutiePiesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #1 of 10

I was just looking on what you guys do for the following, since ive only learned skills from you tube.

I do have a good amount of caking supplies, I was just wondering what you do to store your things? Right now im using picture boxes for my tips and smoothers and dyes. Just curious for a better organization system!!!

Another question is how you make your cakes boards, what do you cover them with, do you have any pictures or online demonstrations you know of??

also do you find it's diifficult to transport your cakes. what tricks do you use??

Thanks so much for your imput!! any additional tips would be greatly appretiated!!! icon_smile.gif Thanks again.

9 replies
catlharper Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:51am
post #2 of 10

I have three that holds my "tool box" filled with my tip cases and gell colors and such (this is really helpful because I can grab the tool box and take it with me to the rental kitchen I use) one that holds my pans and one that holds my dummy's, too large pans, and other supplies. And I could STILL use one more<G>

As for the cake boards...there are three is the cardboard that goes under the cake before frosting/covering and is plain cardboard. Those I get at my local cake supply store. There are the cake drums which are made of wood and then get covered with cake foil or fondant that are used for heavy cakes like wedding cakes. Those I bought at my local cake supply store and that is where I get the foil as well. There are also the lightweight "drums" that are used for the lighter sheet or up to two tier cakes. These are already made up and covered at my supply store and cost a lot less than the drums but have a limited amount of uses before you have to toss them.

As for transporting. I hate it...worst part of doing cakes in my opinion. But I either transport the smaller cakes in a cake box flat on the shelf in my car or on the floorboard...if I carry it in my hands it is always always in a box. This summer I am buying a CakeSafe which is an expensive cake transporting box made to transport stacked cakes. This is due to the fact I often deliver cakes over 100 miles away and it will help my piece of mind.

Welcome to the site and make sure to check out Tonedna's videos on youtube! She is a marvel!

Marianna46 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:26am
post #3 of 10

Hi, CutiePiesCakes, and welcome! I think you'll love it here. Right now I'm transitioning between doing this as a hobby and doing it professionally. I'm also in between houses at the moment, because I'm retiring from my academic job and I want to be a full-time cake decorator. Since my life is kind of nomadic at the moment, my lifesaver has been the collection of plastic tool boxes (the kind you buy at Home Depot with adjustable dividers inside) and plastic drawers (the kind that come in threes and can be very shallow or fairly deep). I have about 15 of the tool boxes and 10 sets of drawers. I keep almost everything in them - tips, couplers, colors, cutters, spatulas, gumpaste decorations waiting to be used, everything but ingredients and pans. I have plastic storage boxes for flour, sugar, shortening, corn syrup, powdered sugar, CMC, etc. These I can stack along the walls, put them in cabinets or whatever I need to do, depending on the space I have at any given time. My pans are just piled up in a big cardboard box. Obviously, I'm dreaming of the day when I can get some permanent work space, but for now, these makeshift pieces of furniture are doing the job admirably.

frankdiabetes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:43am
post #4 of 10
Originally Posted by Marianna46

my lifesaver has been the collection of plastic tool boxes (the kind you buy at Home Depot with adjustable dividers inside) and plastic drawers (the kind that come in threes and can be very shallow or fairly deep).

Wow what a good idea. All my stuff is currently tossed in big plastic totes, and it is not an efficient organizational system. In fact, just tonight I was having a cake slide on me (too much filling I think) and yelled for my husband to get some plastic dowels, STAT! And of course he couldn't find them. I will definitely have to get some drawers.

And welcome, Cutiepiescakes! I think you'll find this site to be an excellent resource.

CutiePiesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 10

such good ideas!! I am definately going to get one of those plastic shelves. i was thinking about them last night to but didnt know if it would be too cluttery.

I seriously HATE transproting cakes because i just learned to make cake boards correctly (duhh) and so all my cakes have been on cake stands...sooo stressful.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!!

Marianna46 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:25am
post #6 of 10

If you want to de-stress your cake deliveries, one thing that helps a whole lot is to carpet the trunk of your car with non slip plastic, which can be bought by the roll. And the more you use it, the more uses you'll find for it. I can't praise it enough! And, of course, if I had the dough (a little baking humor there - yuk, yuk, yuk!), I'd follow catlharper's lead and buy a Cake Safe. Well, if I had the wherewithal, I'd buy that and an Agbay, an airbrush, a KA food processor, every stencil and mold I could find, two of every size and shape pan Fat Daddio makes and about a thousand other things, sigh...! Is it ridiculous to want to sell lots of cakes so you can use the profits to buy more cake stuff or is that just the definition of an addiction?

CutiePiesCakes Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:18am
post #7 of 10

hahaha omg i totally spend every profit on making my cakes on morreee cake stuff!! i was just pricing out an airbrush I saw on to see if i could fit it into my budget!!! icon_smile.gif maybe i can plead for it for christmas from the boyfriend haha. Non slip plastic sounds like such a fantastic idea!!!!! and i totally agree with you about buying everything under the sun to make better cakes..its not addiction icon_wink.gif ...think of it more as wanting to improve your art!!! haha

mamawrobin Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:59am
post #8 of 10

Welcome to cc. icon_biggrin.gif To answer your first question, I have a shelf that is 6 ft. long and 6 ft. tall in my laundry room that is loaded with cake supplies. Under that I have three sets of the little plastic storage chest that have 3 drawers each. I also have a kitchen cabinet with four large shelves that is filled with cake supplies. I still need more storage but I do have things organized enough that I can find what I need when I need it.

I use cardboard circles for cakeboards. If you're talking about cakeboards used for the base of the cake, I tape 3 or 4 of them together and cover with fabric, wrapping paper, fondant, freezer paper, etc. Whatever I'm in the mood for or whatever matches the cake. If you're talking about cakeboards that go between tiers, I use cardboard circles and I don't cover them.

I also use the non skid shelf liner for transporting cakes. That stuff is awesome. I've never lost a cake yet.

chelseak Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:56am
post #9 of 10
Originally Posted by Marianna46

carpet the trunk of your car with non slip plastic, which can be bought by the roll. And the more you use it, the more uses you'll find for it.

I also use the non slip stuff...(drawer/shelf liner) in between my turntable and cake board when decorating...

As for storage...I also have all my stuff in plastic rubbermaid totes...Not ideal organization-wise, but when I get a little extra dough to play with I will be getting a tool box (or tackle box..) and those tall 3-5 drawer storage units from walmart or wherever..

sweethaven09 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:19am
post #10 of 10

For storage, I bought a couple of snap boxes from target. One is small enough and has compartments that I can separate my tips in to catagories, and another one that is larger to hold things like flower formers and such. Both those boxes and all of my cake pans are stored on a metal storage shelf that's about 6ft long.

As for cake boards, I usually use the ones at hobby lobby or michaels. If it have a heavy cake, I have bought foam boards and cut it to the size I need. Of the boards I cover, I usually use the wilton foils, but I'm looking in to other things to cover the boards.

Transporting is the worst, I never drive so slowly. for small cakes, I have used boxes or set it in a cake pan and set it next to me. For larger cakes, I put it in the back of the car on a blanket to keep it from sliding. I've never had a problem. But I think I'm going to switch to putting down non-skid pad. When transporting I ALWAYS bring an emergency kit (usually those target boxes mentioned above) and extra icing just in case.

Quote by @%username% on %date%