How Do I Get A Flat Transfer

Decorating By Limpy Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm by PattyT

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 6

O.K. So I did a transfer of a giraffe using Wilton candy melts. The same as doing a buttercream transfer, black edges,fill in colours etc. Came out great except that it was thick & so was not flat on the cake like I wanted. I did a double coat of melts, as I did not want it to break when I took it off the waxed paper. Any hints so that I can get it right next time?

5 replies
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:17am
post #2 of 6

this happened to me too. I liked the candy melts better (less bubbles than bc) but it also wasn't flat on the back. I'm thinking of laying a piece of wax paper on the back & gently press down to get it all even? I'll be watching this post to see if anyone else has a good solution.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #3 of 6

I do chocolate transfers on acetate (report covers work nicely). They come out very flat and nice and shiny on the front. Because they tend to be thick, I don't double pipe them.

HTH
Rae

MichelleB0802 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleB0802 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 6

when you are filling in the other colors what size tip do you all use and when filling in how do you get it to look smooth?

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 6

After the outline, flood the open areas and cover the outline seams as you are flooding. They can still be kind of flat on the back. As long as the seams are covered, I generally don't do a second coat on the back.

If I do get big bumps (and I need them to lie flat on a cookie) I take a spatula and heat it over my stove flame and press lightly to melt the bump down level.

I participated in a thread about chocolate transfers and tatorchip helped me post a document..it might help.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=671110&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 6

micheleB0802 - you can use either parchment cones for small bits of colors, or the disposable plastic piping bags. I use a #2 tip to outline and usually don't bother with a tip at all for flooding - just snip the bag. If the flooded area is very small, I do use a #2 there also.

You are actually piping from the back so your front will be very flat when you flip them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%