Refrigerated Buttercream Cake..will It Sweat Tomorrow ?

Decorating By Emma37 Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 5:10am by sweetcakes

Emma37 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:32am
post #1 of 7

Humidity is bad here in SC....tough hot weather week. For the very first time I am storing a decorated buttercream (1/2 shortening- 1/2 butter) in the fridge....when I box it up tomorrow am I gonna be crying because it will sweat, melt, or just plain destruct???? Thanks for your time....I did search topics first and I couldn't find an answer (not that one isn't already here)
Thanks again!

6 replies
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:40am
post #2 of 7

It shouldn't melt...I do think it will sweat but then dry out...but the cooler you can keep your house, the car, and the venue (or destination) the less it will sweat.

Boxing it up should hopefully help...just make sure nothing condenses on the top of the box and drips or anything...

leily Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:40am
post #3 of 7

it will sweat most likely just because of the temperature change from the fridge to the warmer air. But if it's warming up in an air conditioned room (and not a room that is like 90+) it should be fine. The only issues i've had is if it doesn't get to room temperature before it hits the REALLY warm temps outside.

ginab922 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:42am
post #4 of 7

It will most likely sweat some once you take it out of the fridge. If it is for an outdoor event I would take it out prior to delivery & let it get room temp...that should cut down on the condensation.

Emma37 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:03am
post #5 of 7

Aah, thank you so much! So I will take it out an hour or so before in A/C...I'll box it....go to A/C car and let it go to A/C destination...and everything will be fine.....right!? icon_lol.gif

Thanks guys!

artscallion Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #6 of 7

I'm sure you'll get other opinions on this. But the science is that it won't "sweat" if it's covered or in a sealed box after it's out of the fridge.

"sweating" is moisture coming from the humidity in the warm air in the room outside the refrigerator condensing on the surface of the cold cake. hitting the coldness of the cake turns the moisture in the air from a gas (humidity) to a liquid.

So the reason for covering a cake when you take it out of the fridge is to prevent the moisture in the air from being able to reach the cake. If the humidity can't reach the cake, it can't condense on it. The humidity will condense on the outside of the cold box and never even reach the cake. That way the cake can come to room temp while remaining dry the whole time.

sweetcakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:10am
post #7 of 7

boxing it will certainly reduce the sweating. I recently housed a 3 tier wed cake in the fridge over night, completely decorated, took it out into an ac room set really low and it still sweated, and all my pearls that i had placed slide down, i had to pick them all off with tweezers wait for the cake to dry off and then place new pearls. i was so ticked, but i had time to fix it thankfully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%