Odd Ball Question????

Decorating By mareg Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 2:43pm by costumeczar

mareg Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 6

If you have a square stacked cake and want to use the round plates for support (to use with the tubes in the cake ) under the cardboard with the cake on it is this possible if you use rounds smaller than the square? icon_confused.gif Hope this makes sense? Has anybody tried this? icon_wink.gif

5 replies
Karen421 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 6

I would love the answer to this b/c I am doing a 5 tier square wedding cake and just bought all the square plates, if I didn't have to, I am going to cry!

AvaSweetCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:00am
post #3 of 6

I would not recommend this. The cake board under the square is not enough to support the corners of the cake that will hang over the edge of the plastic plate. You will see it start to sag. I just helped a friend make a wedding cake with squares cakes on round cakes the the corners hung over the edge and you could see them starting to sag. You could try 3/16" foam core board instead of the cardboard, that might help support the corners more. I would definitely buy the square plastic bases and play it safe! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

KSMill Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #4 of 6

It would be best if you use square boards under the square cakes. I agree with AvaSweetCakes that it's not enough support for the corners.

mareg Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 6

Ok Thats good enough for me. I was just wondering if I could or should. I'm going out for square ones!

costumeczar Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 6

I'd do it only if the boards were the plastic tuffboards, not the cardboards. The square plated are safer, though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%