What Is It Called?

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 2:27pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 16

Okay so I'm thinking of doing a cake where the top of the tier is one color and the color fades or blends to another color on the way down. Like the top of the cake is red and it goes into orange then yellow.

I'd like to search on the best ways to do it or suggestions but I can't figure out the right wording. I tried fading, colors, top, bottom, but as you can guess that pulled up more post about fading colors as in the purple to blue issue than what I was looking for. And then I tried blending, colors and of course got questions on how to blending icing colors to get different colors.

Does this have a name? Am I just searching the wrong phrases? Anyone have any suggests?

Please and thanks!

Off to do some more searching....

15 replies
CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 16

graduated colors maybe, cascade?

Kinda like a rainbow snow cone effect. LOL.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 16

In material it is called ombre.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 16

I've never done it, but I think I would call it a gradient. Is this relevant to your needs?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-646711-.html

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 16

Gradient is what I would call it. Gradient descending or Gradient ascending.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 16

It's called gradient color. Here's a cake on CC that used it.

cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file..

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 12:44am
post #7 of 16

Fabrics that do that are often called "gradation" or "dip dyed".

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks for all the terms! Unfortunetly none of them pulled up any past posts on here that were really helpful.

I did finally find one picture in the galleries that is simalar to what I am looking for so it helped give me a vague idea of where to start. I'm going to keep seaching and as soon as I can I'm pull out some fondant and color colors and see what I can do. Wish me luck!

Carmijok, your link only took me to the gallery main page, so I didn't get ot see that cake.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 16

Well in painting, you paint the top 'almost half' yellow, the bottom 'almost half' red, then brush orange into empty space between blending as you go.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 16

Like this? I airbrushed yellow from the top down to the center, then red from the bottom up to the center.
LL

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 16

7yyrt, I looked up the techinque for painting walls and found how you said, so I'm may try that. I'm not sure if I can work all the way around the cake quick enough to not have all the colors dry on me.

DianeLM, Yes that is what I am looking for! I have an airbrush so that is an option, I'm just not great with it. Might be time to practice. icon_smile.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:26pm
post #12 of 16

This is definitely great technique and always wondered how it might be done.

TexasSugar: Keep us posted please to see what technique worked best for you. Would love to see the outcome.

Have a great day and happy caking

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:44pm
post #13 of 16

I'm not great with my airbrush either. I impressed the heck out of myself with that cake! icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 16

I did some gradient with painting on gel colors and sponging on fondant. It worked out OK especially after a generous coat of luster pearl.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:05am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I'm not great with my airbrush either. I impressed the heck out of myself with that cake! icon_smile.gif

Very nicely done!!!

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:27pm
post #16 of 16

Diane, you give me hope then! icon_smile.gif

Sadsmile, yes your cake is the one I came across in my searches. I started to PM you about it, but then figured I'm try it out on my own first.

Ayerim, last night I played on a dummy cake that I had. I used dried Crystal Colors, but not sure if I am in love with how it turned out. I'm going to try mixing them with alcohol next then try the airbrushing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%