How Do You Color Massibe Amounts Of Buttercream For...

Decorating By VNatividad Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 9:04pm by leily

VNatividad Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 6

wedding or in my case quinceanera cakes.

I had such a hard time coloring my niece's Dodgers themed cake. Aside from the fact that it took 2 1/2 bottles of wilton royal blue to get the color another issue was coloring such a massive amount of icing! I'm only used to mixing for small cakes. The pictured cake has a 12" and 6" square iced with royal blue.

What are your techniques for coloring icing when you have multiple cakes to ice the same color?

Thanks for your advice

5 replies
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 6

Use chefmaster liqua gel colors and you wont use near as much. You also wont have to wait for it to intensify.

VNatividad Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah, I know I should have used at least americolor but didn't think! After the first bottle I knew it was the wilton colors. What I meant was techniques for actually coloring big amounts of icing. Do you use a big bowl? Do you mix in small batches then combine?

ttehan4 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 6

If its a dark color i usually airbrush. If it is a light color I have a large stainless steel bowl that i mix by hand in. The Duff colors are really intense too. I bought the jewel tones box (with a coupon of course) and it is really good. I'm sure it is probably another brand packaged in Duff label, but none the less it was cheap with a coupon and is really intense. The jewel tones has a blue that I bet would be a match for your cake.

VNatividad Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the tip on the Duff colors! I did see a huge stainless bowl at Smart & Final, I'll have to go and purchase! It was really frustrating having to keep mixing that darn icing, had I had a better brand it should not have taken so long! It almost made me cry!

leily Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 6

i mix my buttercream in my KA, if the whole batch is one color then i just let the KA do the work. If I have to make multiple batches then i do it all in the KA and put them in a larger bowl and then use a spatula and mix by hand to make sure they are all mixed together and i have one color (since i can't match each batch exactly)

Quote by @%username% on %date%