Trying To Fiqure Out Stipping On 12 In Round

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 8:51pm by robyndmy

chellescountrycakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 6

I am putting orange, pink and yellow stripes on the outside of a 12 inch round cake.

I have decided its about 38 inches around. I am thinking 2 inchish strips will give me 6 of each color.

is this right or is there an easier way to fiqure this out? LOL I've just about went nuts on trying to calculate it.

5 replies
leah_s Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 6

A 12" round may be 13" in diameter with the finished icing. Multiple that by 3.14 then divide.

PS, I always do random widths and random spacing. Looks good and you can't go wrong.

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 6

Let the finished icing set--for buttercream, refrigerate it for awhile.

Take a piece of cash register tape--you can buy a roll cheap at any office supply place--or make yourself a nice long piece of paper--and wrap it around the cake. Cut it so that it is exactly as long as the cake is around.

Fold the tape into thirds and then that in half--you'll get the tape divided into 6 even pieces. You also now have a template to mark the cake and/or line up the strips easily after they've been cut.

HTH
Rae

chellescountrycakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks leah, thats the best advice I've ever heard icon_wink.gif And do you know, you honestly cant tell where the pattern started or stopped since I alternated the sizes icon_smile.gif thansk!! icon_smile.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 6

Rae, thats a great idea.. I didnt think to do that. LOL I was trying my hardest to do it with all the math.. ROFLMAO. hubby had even found me a tape that had 10'ths marked.. LOL

robyndmy Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Let the finished icing set--for buttercream, refrigerate it for awhile.

Take a piece of cash register tape--you can buy a roll cheap at any office supply place--or make yourself a nice long piece of paper--and wrap it around the cake. Cut it so that it is exactly as long as the cake is around.

Fold the tape into thirds and then that in half--you'll get the tape divided into 6 even pieces. You also now have a template to mark the cake and/or line up the strips easily after they've been cut.

Lol, yes, this is definitely the easiest way to get it done. I love tricks like this that require no math! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%