Trying To Start A Cake Business But Have No Name!!!

Business By OliMom Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 9:03pm by Elcee

OliMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OliMom Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 2

My name is Allison and I am trying to start a cake decorating business from my home and everything is in place except I can not think of a name... I specialize in Fondant cakes and probably will only do fondant cakes in the future, I am an Army wife, Have a daughter, Oli, and want something creative... I hate names like "Allison's Cakes" or ones that deal with location like "Colorado's Finest" or whatever, since we will move often.. I have been thinking for a month and just cant find THE ONE! Thanks for any help!! icon_smile.gif

1 reply
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 2

Hi, OliMom

Sorry, I can't help with your name but I'm curious. You mention that you have everything in place to start a cake decorating business from your home and also refer to Colorado in your post. Are you in Colorado? If not, please disregard the rest of this post icon_wink.gif. If so, I'd love to know how you went about getting a license for a home cake business. Who did you contact, county health dept., Department of Agriculture, other? Will you be using your home kitchen or do you have a separate one on your property? Did you have to be inspected? Or are you renting commercial kitchen space somewhere? The cost of doing that would make it prohibitive for me! How about fees and insurance? Were they expensive? Did you have to take any classes or anything (such as food safety)?

Sorry to be so full of questions! It's just that I don't want a full scale cake business but I'd love to be able to sell the occasional cake. I have been under the impression that I can't do that in Colorado. You have given me hope that I may have been given the wrong information!

TIA for answering all of my questions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%