How Long Can You Keep Your Nfsc With Toba Glaze?

Baking By tinygoose Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 8:06pm by luv2bake6

tinygoose Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 4

I made some flower NFSC with Toba glaze for a May 20th event. I still have about a have dozen leftover, they are in individual packages. I ate one last night so I know they are fine, but I was just wondering how long do they keep in general?

I'd like to make some up in advance and just keep them around to hand out to people for birthdays, thank yous, etc. Can you freeze them after they are decorated, or better stored at room temp?

3 replies
Malakin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 4

I'd like to know also. I just started playing with cookies and I've seen some on here that do freeze their cookies decorated. I'd like to know what type of decorations, fondant or RI, that freezes better and for how long?

bonniebakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 4

First, let me say that I'm a food safety lunatic, so although I know that I go to the extreme, there are many people who don't use the same time line and have wonderful results!

I have a personal "5 day rule" that I live by for cookie freshness...
no more than 5 days from making the dough to delivering the cookies (If I'm shipping them, which I do often, I try to ship them on the 3rd day). During those days, I only have the cookies out in the open air when I'm actively decorating them). Otherwise they are in some kind of air-tight or at least loosely covered containers.

Cookies can be frozen either before or after baking (dough or cookies) and before or after decorating with royal icing. Personally, I like to have them in the freezer less than 10 days, but again that's just me personal preference because I have very sensitive taste buds and and very sensitive to freezer smells (I can tell when anything has been frozen) - I've done blind "taste tests" and no one but me can tell the difference).

Here are some links to threads that talk about freezing cookies

freezing cookies

glace freezing & blotches

freezing & using RI

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 4

I also like to have some generic type cookies to pull out for a quick birthday gift or a thank you gift. For those cookies, i'll bake and flood on the same day and leave out to dry overnight. The next day they get decorated and depending on how much icing is involved, i'll wrap and freeze that night or allow them to dry overnight and wrap the next morning. I wrap them in plastic wrap. Then put them in a freezer bag. Then the bag goes into a tupperware type container and off to the freezer. I've been able to store them up to 3 months so far (used them up by then so don't know about storing longer).
Just be sure to thaw the cookies in the container.

Quote by @%username% on %date%