Got In Over My Head

Decorating By raquel79 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 4:51pm by raquel79

raquel79 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 3

I have a question for those of you that are pros with the wedding cakes. I have only done two and one was my own. I was asked by my little cousin to be in his wedding, me, my husband and my two sons. And also since I do all the occasion cakes except weddings in the family he asked me to do his cake. Not wanting to say no, and wanting him to save a little money I said yes. I am only charging them for supplies. Well the wedding is 2.5hrs from where I live on a Sunday in July. My parents live 45 minutes from the venue but do not have air conditioning in their house. I am worried about the heat of doing the baking and decorating at their house and not being able to store the cakes without them melting. But I also worried if I did the cake at my house would it make the travel. So this is what I came up with make the very bottom 14 inch square a real cake then the next 3 layers use the dummy cakes, 12 inch rd, 10 inch rd and 8 inch rd. Of course decorate them to match my drawing of what they want. Then I told my cousin and his fiance I would make 4 sheet cakes that we would have in the kitchen to serve to the guest. They could cut into the bottom layer of the wedding cake for their cake cutting and pictures, but take it back and serve the guest from the sheet cakes. Has anyone done this? I am trying to make less stress on myself and let them have their beautiful wedding cake with only a quarter of it real. I really got in over my head with so much to do with being a bridesmaid and my whole family in the wedding. Just don't see that I will have time that day to assemble a 4 tier cake in between rehearsal, doing last minute decorating and getting ready for the wedding. Any suggestions are wonderful. Thanks

2 replies
CWR41 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 3

Sounds like a plan. I'd be sure to make the sheet cakes two layers (4" tall) so the guests won't be able to tell who was served actual layered wedding cake and who gets the sheet (kitchen cakes).

raquel79 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 3

Yes I planned to but thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%