Why Does The Fondant Keep Bubbling?!

Decorating By Spectra Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 5:56pm by Spectra

Spectra Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 6

UGH! I'm getting so frustrated! I did two cakes this week. One turned out perfect, no bubbles, nothing. The other, well I put the fondant on yesterday and opened the box today to start putting decorations on and it's got like this buldge. First I thought it was air, but when I "pop" it I found it was icing coming through. It wasn't where the filling was either.

So I'm trying to figure out if I'm using too much icing and/or if my problem is that I use half shortening / half butter for the icing. I'm wondering if I should use straight up shortening icing for directly under the fondant. Even though it's not hot in here at all... I just can't figure it out.

5 replies
SunshineSally Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 6

I hope someone can answer this! I had the exact same thing happen to me last week. Covered the cake with fondant before I went to bed, got up to put decorations on and there was a HUGE bubble in the fondant, not near the filling either. I wanted to cry because I thought I was ahead of schedule!!!! icon_cry.gif

msulli10 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 6

Did you put the fondant on a cold cake? That could make the fondant bubble.

Spectra Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 6

I did! I always put it in the fridge after I ice it, so the icing is nice and hard, then take it out, brush it with some piping gel and put the fondant on top. Is this my problem??

catlharper Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 6

Fondant needs to be put onto a room temperature cake, any chill and you can get air bubbles. I always freeze my cakes so when I take them out of the freezer I fill and crumbcoat and then let the cake sit and settle for two hours, at least, longer if I can. This brings the cake up to room temp as well as lets any filling that is going to sploosh out do it's thing so I can smooth it down before putting on the fondant. The only time I've ended up with bubbles is when I have rushed this process. HTH! Cat

Spectra Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much!! I will let them sit out a bit then after I ice them. I was really baffled, so thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%