Best Tasting Recipe For Decorating?

Decorating By a_blonde_betty_boop Updated 10 Mar 2005 , 4:18pm by Lisa

a_blonde_betty_boop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
a_blonde_betty_boop Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 11

I am new to decorating and I was wondering what icing would look good and taste good? When I buy store bought cakes, I like the taste of the whipped cream icing, but I have been told it is harder to decorate with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

10 replies
kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 11

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1948-23-Butter-Cream-with-real-butter-for-decorators.html
This is similar to what I use. I adjust the butter content depending on how hot it is outside and whether it is for a cake that needs to sit outside or not. I use less butter on hot days and add more crisco. I use different flavorings depending on the flavor of the cake. My favorites are almond, coconut and orange. Try different combinations of flavors. I use milk instead of water also, the sugar keeps it from spoiling.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 11

coconut!! i have never thought of using coconut. when and with what flavor cake do you use it with?

kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 11

I mix it with the orange and almond and it gives a tropical flavor. I use it with a lot of flavors of cake and everyone that has had it really likes it.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 24 Feb 2005 , 5:02am
post #5 of 11

Ohhh, coconut is sooo good!! There are a lot of other extracts too but you have to go to a baking store like in the mall. Yummy!!

Susan94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan94 Posted 25 Feb 2005 , 1:30am
post #6 of 11

also add more vanilla extract and less of the butter. I also add 2 TB of meringue powder to it.

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 11

What is "butter flavor"?

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 11

It comes in a bottle like vanilla. I usually don't see it in the grocery store, but I can find it at Michael's or cake dec store. You use this if you don't want the discoloration from butter in your icing.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:

That's my recipe thumbs_up.gif ! I've always used water cause of the spoil factor. I make this in big batches. I need it to last for weeks and sometimes months. It just makes me feel better to know that it doesn't have milk in it. I've been so happy with this recipe that I've never tried adding meringue powder to it. It's very stable and crusts just enough to allow you to manipulate it without it getting crunchy like some crusting butter creams. It also has a wonderful smell. One of the comments I get a lot from people when they open a box with one of my cakes in it is "It smells so good." I've also had customers ask for the recipe so they can make it themselves. I always share it but my DH says I'm giving away the Colonel's secret recipe icon_rolleyes.gif . I just don't think it's complicated enough to be a secret.

This icing also stays very white but that will depend a lot on the brand of butter you use.

Magic line also makes a butter flavored vanilla. I haven't tried it yet. Anyone tried it?

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 11

I'm in the process of trying to find a butercream recipe that I like as well. I just made a batch of the Wilton all white one...yuck! There is just no getting away from that mouth-full-of-grease taste no matter how much vanilla or butter flavour I put in. And the texture is not very smooth.

Yesterday I made cali4dawn's recipe which has 1.5 cups shortening to 1 cup butter. It came out very smooth and very good however it didn't seem to want to crust very much. Butter does make it better! I should have stuck with it instead of the Wilton recipe but I wanted that really white look. I'll have to try the Wilton whitener, maybe that would help...

Lisa, have you made your recipe with salted butter? Was there any difference? I know this has been discussed before, however since it's your recipe I was just wondering....

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 11

Yes...I've tried it with both salted butter and margarine. The margarine turned my icing a pale shade of yellow and made it tooooo sweet. The salted butter kept the icing white but it was still too sweet. I know that some say adding salt will cut down the sweetness but that hasn't been my experience. The unsalted butter tasted the best.

Also...using the warm water helps get a smooth icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%