Best tasting recipe for decorating?

Decorating By a_blonde_betty_boop Updated 10 Mar 2005 , 4:18pm by Lisa

a_blonde_betty_boop Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 11

I am new to decorating and I was wondering what icing would look good and taste good? When I buy store bought cakes, I like the taste of the whipped cream icing, but I have been told it is harder to decorate with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

10 replies
kate Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 11

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1948-23-Butter-Cream-with-real-butter-for-decorators.html
This is similar to what I use. I adjust the butter content depending on how hot it is outside and whether it is for a cake that needs to sit outside or not. I use less butter on hot days and add more crisco. I use different flavorings depending on the flavor of the cake. My favorites are almond, coconut and orange. Try different combinations of flavors. I use milk instead of water also, the sugar keeps it from spoiling.

diane Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 11

coconut!! i have never thought of using coconut. when and with what flavor cake do you use it with?

kate Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 11

I mix it with the orange and almond and it gives a tropical flavor. I use it with a lot of flavors of cake and everyone that has had it really likes it.

tcturtleshell Posted 24 Feb 2005 , 5:02am
post #5 of 11

Ohhh, coconut is sooo good!! There are a lot of other extracts too but you have to go to a baking store like in the mall. Yummy!!

Susan94 Posted 25 Feb 2005 , 1:30am
post #6 of 11

also add more vanilla extract and less of the butter. I also add 2 TB of meringue powder to it.

midwestmom Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 11

What is "butter flavor"?

Mchelle Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 11

It comes in a bottle like vanilla. I usually don't see it in the grocery store, but I can find it at Michael's or cake dec store. You use this if you don't want the discoloration from butter in your icing.

Lisa Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1948-23-Butter-Cream-with-real-butter-for-decorators.html.

That's my recipe thumbs_up.gif
This icing also stays very white but that will depend a lot on the brand of butter you use.

Magic line also makes a butter flavored vanilla. I haven't tried it yet. Anyone tried it?

tripletmom Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 11

I'm in the process of trying to find a butercream recipe that I like as well. I just made a batch of the Wilton all white one...yuck! There is just no getting away from that mouth-full-of-grease taste no matter how much vanilla or butter flavour I put in. And the texture is not very smooth.

Yesterday I made cali4dawn's recipe which has 1.5 cups shortening to 1 cup butter. It came out very smooth and very good however it didn't seem to want to crust very much. Butter does make it better! I should have stuck with it instead of the Wilton recipe but I wanted that really white look. I'll have to try the Wilton whitener, maybe that would help...

Lisa, have you made your recipe with salted butter? Was there any difference? I know this has been discussed before, however since it's your recipe I was just wondering....

Lisa Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 11

Yes...I've tried it with both salted butter and margarine. The margarine turned my icing a pale shade of yellow and made it tooooo sweet. The salted butter kept the icing white but it was still too sweet. I know that some say adding salt will cut down the sweetness but that hasn't been my experience. The unsalted butter tasted the best.

Also...using the warm water helps get a smooth icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%