Dilemma - Indydebi Frosting V Wilton

Baking By Skidoochic Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 2:14pm by Skidoochic

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 19

I know - no contest, right? But my friend L-O-V-E-S the Wilton buttercream. My problem is I am doing her wedding cake and it is outside and predicted to be in the low 90s with rain! I want to use the IndyDebi recipe, but I want it to taste a little more like Wilton. What do you suggest?

18 replies
mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 19

Has she tried IndyDebi's recipe?

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 19

I was a true believer in the Wilton buttercream for the last 10 years until I made my first batch of Indydebi's buttercream just this year. Go with Indydebi's recipe and don't look back.

It will be able to sustain the heat and humidity for a few hours but I wouldn't count on any cake holding up if rained on! icon_razz.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 19

If she likes the wilton buttercream then why not use that? I use 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening wilton recipe and it holds up just fine in the heat (granted as long as it's not in the direct sun, that causes problems with everything)

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 19

I won't use anything except IndyDebi's buttercream. I have added a little bit of clear butter flavor to it before and it tasted great!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 19

Hmmm. I use a recipe very similar to the Wilton and have had less luck with the 50/50 in heat, my borders still droop and sometimes plop off.

I am trying Indydebi's for the first time this weekend and considering I don't have A/C it'll be a good test run, but have heard great things. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be my answer to summer decorating.

I'd just tell her you were concerned about the wilton not holding up to the heat and either go w/ indydebi's or have her do a side by side to try to sway her.

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 19

I am currently stuck on the Wilton Buttercream (the one in the can) It's something my mother has used for years and so that is what I am use too. I tried Indydebi's buttercream because I really want to make my own but can't get past "mentally" using Crisco. Something my mother drilled into my head to be "bad". (LOL oh the damage parents cause their children) Which is funny cause lord only knows what they put in the stuff I currently use.

If possible let your friend try Indydebi's buttercream, you never know she just might like it! " icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 19

I did a cake in July for an outdoor wedding and I'm in Texas. The icing I used was pretty much the wilton recipe, and it help up fine. We didn't bring the cake out until after the cermony but it sat out while everyone ate.

You can do two things, give her what she loves or you can make a small cake with Indi's icing on it and see how she feels about it. Either way, both should hold up fine. icon_smile.gif

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 19

I agree with Mayo2222, has she tried IndyDebi's recipe?

Skidoochic Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 19

Hey sorry I didn't answer - I never got an email saying anyone responded.

She hasn't tried IndyDebi's recipe, but I am thinking of adding a little butter flavor (I only have Wilton on hand would something else be better?) to give it a little more buttery flavor which is what I think she likes about the Wilton. I will try a batch tonight and have her try it.

I have done outdoor weddings before with Wilton buttercream and it just doesn't hold up as well. I still use it, but I really think IndyDebi's is the way to go if the forecast holds true.

Thanks for your comments/thoughts!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

If she likes the wilton buttercream then why not use that? I use 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening wilton recipe and it holds up just fine in the heat (granted as long as it's not in the direct sun, that causes problems with everything)

It doesn't hold up here in Arkansas. Don't know why our humidity is so thick you can cut it with a knife but it is. Anytime I've used any butter in my buttercream it was a melting mess. Pock holes and all.

If it's going to be outside I'd use Indydebi's recipe. Heck, I'd use Indydebi's recipe if it wasn't. thumbs_up.gif As far as taste goes, it's by far better than Wilton's.

Skidoochic Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:14pm
post #12 of 19

mamawrobin - what do you think about adding butter flavor to IndyDebi? If OK - how much do you think? I just want that buttery taste you get from Wilton recipe (1/2 butter/1/2 shortening) but I want the stability of IndyDebi's recipe.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 19

I use the clear wilton butter flavoring to sub some of the vanilla that is called for in IndyDebi's recipe. Works great for me. You kinda have to play with the amounts of flavoring to get it to the taste you want but it does work well.

Skidoochic Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:38pm
post #14 of 19

Thank you SunshineSally!!! icon_biggrin.gif

nicki9774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicki9774 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:50pm
post #15 of 19

Ok, I did a wedding and used wilton bc recipe and it was 90 degrees in Oct. It was unbelievable, but I got this recipe from another cake instructor and it worked. 2 C. Shortening, 6-8 oz whipping cream, 2 tsp. clear butter extract, 8 C. powdered sugar.

That is a double recipe but see if she likes it. I actually have more people like that than anything else. Let me know.

Good Luck! Held up in the heat better than Wilton Recipe.

SillyJacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SillyJacs Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #16 of 19

I just made Indydebi's recipe for the first time last night. I liked it but I also really like the butter flavor from a half and half recipe. I like the idea of using the butter flavor.

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:49pm
post #17 of 19

I use only indydebi's recipe but instead of all the vanilla I use half (or a little less) of vanilla and the rest butter extract. it is not a sweet. My mom is coming over monday and I might have her try it. she tells me all the time that she doesn't think buttercream should be made with only shortening. I bet she won't be able to taste the difference now!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:03pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoochic

mamawrobin - what do you think about adding butter flavor to IndyDebi? If OK - how much do you think? I just want that buttery taste you get from Wilton recipe (1/2 butter/1/2 shortening) but I want the stability of IndyDebi's recipe.

Yes it will work fine. Like SunshineSally said just "play" with the amount until the flavor is right.

Skidoochic Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:14pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%