Eggs Vs. Egg Whites

Baking By thecakemaker Updated 24 Oct 2013 , 3:26pm by -K8memphis

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 13

I used a white Duncan Heins cake mix lastnight for a cake. The cake is decorated and ready to go today. I didn't realize until this morning that I used whole eggs and not egg whites only. Hopefully it'll still be okay! Has anyone ever done this? What was the outcome?

Is there a substitution or recipe change for when using whole eggs vs egg whites?

Thanks!
Debbie

12 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 13

the cake will be fine. usually egg yolk is left out so that cake mix is pristine white. Now.. if you had left out the egg whites.. that would not have been good and you would have known immediately that you had forgotten them, when you took the cake out of the oven. egg whites are what makes the cake hold together. icon_biggrin.gif

I have used whole eggs with no problem. you are good to go thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 13

whole eggs instead of white usually just makes a yellow cake..........pillsbury white cakes call for 3 whole eggs...........you're fine!! The cake just won't be as "white" in color, but honestly unless they compare it next to WHITE cake, they won't notice!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 13

I tell everyone that I use whole eggs in white cake, because they don't expect the yolks to be there (for dietary/cholesterol reasons). Unless they specify no yolks in advance, they get the entire egg!

Jeana77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeana77 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 13

I use DH cake mix for my cakes and always use the whole egg in the white cake. I would guess that your client will never know the difference unless you mention it to them.

thecakemaker Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks everyone! I usually use the Pillsbury white but it's getting hard to find around here. I do usually use the DH chocolate though. It seemed okay and the scraps tasted fine icon_surprised.gif) I hope they like as much as they like my Pillsbury - they're a regular customer!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #7 of 13

I always use whole eggs because I hate wasting 1/2 an egg. No one has ever complained about white cake not being white enough.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:27am
post #8 of 13

I started marketing those (white cake with whole egg) as my "wedding white" cake and explained that instead of following the recipe of using just egg whites, I added the whole egg to make a richer tasting cake (but if they wanted a white-white cake, I could omit the egg yolks).

It's all in the marketing! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

thecakemaker Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 13

indydebi ~ I like the way you think! icon_biggrin.gif

niccif Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccif Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 13

So I'm going to be using a boxed cake mix for my daughter's birthday cake, and I've read the whole "how to make a boxed mix taste like bakery" thing that says to add an egg and use butter instead of oil, etc. 

If I'm going to use whole eggs in a white box mix that calls for 3 whites, would I get the best result from 3 whole eggs or 4 (do I still add the egg if I'm switching to whole from whites)?

I don't care if the cake is pure white.

Thanks in advance.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 13

Why not get a mix that calls for whole eggs?  People really like the DH French Vanilla. 

niccif Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccif Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 13

Because I already just grabbed the box. :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 3:26pm
post #13 of 13

i think i'd use three whole eggs because cake mixes are smaller now--three whole eggs will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%