Ahhh, Fondant...it's The Devil For Me!

Decorating By RebelChick Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 12:28pm by RebelChick

RebelChick Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 7

I really admire the heck out of all you cakers that can make it look so easy! Mine has so man wrinkles when I put it on real cake that it looks like an elephant!!! I don't have that much trouble when practicing on a dummy. Argh! What in the heck????? Luckily, I got most of the major wrinkles out and the decorations will cover the rest (I hope)!!! I've taken classes, watched the videos, and practiced a lot with this stuff. Guess it's just not my thing? Now, my buttercream, smooth as a baby's bottom! Go figure! Should've just used that and I wouldn't be thinking to start all over and just do buttercream. But the delivery is for 5:00 pm today, so really not an option.

Just venting, ya'll. Thanks for "listening"!

6 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 7

When you cover with fondant are you stretching as you go? I start from the top and go down the sides lifting and pulling just slightly while smoothing with a flat hand. Once I have smoothed down to the board I take my fondant smoother again starting at the top and work my way down then I use a pizza cutter to trim any extra fondant. Your fondant has to be thick enough to be able to stretch but not to thick. Hope this makes since.

RebelChick Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #3 of 7

That's what I try to do! icon_cry.gif It just doesn't seem to work out. icon_redface.gif I guess I just need to practice more.

Kitagrl Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:32am
post #4 of 7

What kind of fondant do you use? Are you covering a soft, room temp cake, or a chilled and firm cake?

catlharper Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:15am
post #5 of 7

Please don't feel badly about this. It does mean more practice for you but you may just not have the fondant the right consistancy and the only way to know for sure is to have someone who is good with fondant tell you that you do have it the right consistancy! Frustrating, right? I'm good with fondant but SUCK with buttercream. It's a hate/hate relationship...I hate it and I swear it hates me back! LOL! In all seriousness tho, I think there are those who work well with one medium and those who work well with the other. For me, I think I'm just too much of a perfectionist...I want my buttercream PERFECTLY smooth like fondant and there's just no way it will ever be perfect and that drives me nuts. I get truly OCD about it. So I've made up my mind not to accept any more smooth buttercream orders and talk them into a textured buttercream finish instead! LOL! I know, I know, dream on. Sounds like buttercream is your medium. Can you, eventually, do fondant, sure...practice practice...it's what I keep telling myself about buttercream.

Cat

noahsmummy Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:28am
post #6 of 7

fondant hates me too. dont worry. i attempt and attempt. but everytime i try and "pull" it down it rips and tares and makes me carnky and frustrated!! lol. ive tried all different fondant too, jelly crystal based, mmf, mff... ahhh.
alothough, when i did the mff i was a little short on glycerince, so im going to try again with the right amount.. haha.

plus i dont have a fondant smoother.. i seem to like to make things difficult. lol

RebelChick Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 12:28pm
post #7 of 7

I've used mmf and wilton's both. It's just me, I know. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%