Can I Do Zebra Bc/ High Density Foam Roller?

Decorating By CBMom Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm by CBMom

CBMom Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 5

Humidity is going to be high here this weekend..and my hand hurts already, so really not in the mood to massage all that black colouring for fondant stripes.

Can I do a BC zebra print, and roll over with a high density foam roller?
Kind of like the camo cake decorating method, just using the black and white BC?

Has anyone done this?

Will the black bleed into the white?
Will I get grey smudgies on the white BC?

4 replies
sweetcakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 5

youcould do it, but your stripes wont have nice smooth edges, by the time you have piped all those black lines you could knead in some black to your fondant and cut the stripes. your either pipe it or knead it!! LOL

nonilm Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 5

I recently did this with red, white and blue stripes on the sides of a cake and it worked really well. The edges were pretty sharp (sorry I don't have a photo). I think the key was to not leave a gap between my lines. I was worried about the red turning the white pink but the colors did not bleed at all and the roller did not "pick up" the red and deposit anywhere else. If you are concerned with color transfer you could always put parchment then roll with the roller.

leily Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 5

as long as they are both crusted and ready to be rolled i don't see why it won't work. The parchment paper is a good idea though, as sometimes I do get some color on my roller (although i haven't noticed that it is picked up on any other lighter color before)

CBMom Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif

I think I'll try it...unless DH wants to knead the fondant for me icon_smile.gif

I can pipe pretty well with my left hand, and I have time to let it chill really well overnight...and roll it in the morning - and wear my wrist brace! LOL

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%