Suggestions On How To Distribute?

Business By diane223 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 2:41pm by brincess_b

diane223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane223 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 5

Hello. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions or tips on how to find a place to distribute your products? I am recently licensed and have been doing well with word of mouth business, but I don't have a store-front (rent a kitchen from firehouse) and I need to take the next step in making sure that my name and branding are out in front of people. My thought process is this: I live near a great town that has many shops and pedestrian traffic. I am going to go scope out the activity and shops this weekend, hoping to zero in on coffee shops or cafes that may be in need of baked goods. I'm thinking that after I do this research, I could set up a meeting with the owner/manager and make a pitch to carry some of my products. I did see a review on one of the coffee shops that said "coffee and atmosphere is great but their selection of baked goods was slim". Of course, this might be the first place I stop and try to arrange a meeting. Perhaps I should have a copy of that review when if/when I meet with the owner/manager. Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone would share their success stories with me?

Thanks!

4 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 5

I suggest that you bring samples of the types of things you want to sell to the cafes and shops. Maybe you could even give the owners some items to test-sell?
Debbie Fields (of Mrs. Fields' cookies) was on a TV show the other night, and she said she initially gave away lots of cookies to get her products out to the public.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 5

I just did this last wednesday! I made a list of business and offices in my area focusing on those that plan events and meetings and also those that employ alot of "moms". I called and got ahead and got an idea of the number of employees in the office. Then I made a bunch of mini cuppies in some of my most popular flavors and placed them in clear to-go containers. I delivered these to the offices early afternoon with my brochures and a few business cards. I have two orders from one of the banks already! Just one order more than paid for the samples. Good luck!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 5

Do you have a website? If so why is it not in your siggy line? There is a thread going about how to be successful on Facebook. Opportunity comes in many forms....

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 5

be aware that to sell to a business who will sell your product you may need to have a different liscense.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%