How To Space Dots On This Cake?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 1:26pm by matthewkyrankelly

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 4

I am making this cake for a wedding tomorrow. The picture is terrible I know. I was treating the book store like a library icon_redface.gif and snapped a photo with my phone of the book! Its from a Martha Stewart book. I didn't really want to buy it but our library didn't have it and I searched to no avail for a pic online but couldn't find it. I digress.
Anyway, obviously there are evenly spaced rows of dots on the each tier. In the photo the dots are touching each other. I cannot imagine I will get lucky enough to have the dots evenly match up in the back but I don't want them overlapping or for there to be a big space. My thought is to put each tier on my wilton circle mat (the one that has the measurements) and use that to help space the dots. Do you think that will work? I've never actually used that mat but that is the only method I can think of other than eyeballing it. And my eyeballs are not so good! Any thoughts would be appreciated.
LL

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 4

as long as your dots are a measurement that will evenly divide by your circumference you should be good. Say a 1/2" wide or something.......that would fit into any circumference wouldn't it?

The first thing that pops into my head (besides using a laser level to keep the lines of dots perfectly straight), is measure the circumference (Or Earlenescakes.com has a guide for the circumference measurements on her site), and figure out a size dot that will fit into that.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 4

I had that thought too but each tier will have a different circumference but the dots on each tier are the same size. That doesn't necessarily mean that the dot size I choose won't evenly divide by each circumference but who knows. Thanks for the tip on earlene's cake website. I didn't know she had circumference info! I need to go measure the cutter that I am planning on using so I know exactly how big it is. Thanks for your input.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 4

Use a string. Wrap it around the cake to get the circumference. Measure the height of the cake. Then make a template rectangle that is as long as the circumference and as high as the cake.

Whatever you fit evenly in the rectangle you can imagine wrapping around the cake, like a chocolate collar. If they are spaced evenly in the rectangle, they will fit on the cake. FYI leave a half space on the left and right edges for proper spacing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%