Have I Got Myself In A Pickle?

Decorating By Summer09 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 9:18pm by mandysue

Summer09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Summer09 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, hope this doesnt sound to silly icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

ive made two cakes as im practising stacking as i have an order in july and it needs to be a two tier and ive never stacked before

ive just crumb coated the coffee one in coffee BC and chocolate one in Choc- but one on a mat and the other on my chopping board icon_redface.gif

how can i pick it up to put one on the other icon_redface.gif

should i have put it on when just sponge and crumbcoated them stacked?

Do i just go for it and get BC all over my hands

Am i silly or what

will i ever stop asking question

also will i ever shut up icon_razz.gif

Thanks everyone

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 6

Each and every cake needs to have a cardboard cake board (at least) underneath it...not just for ease in picking it up and serving it, but also for stability!

You will also need to put some type of dowels into your bottom cake, to hold the weight of the top cake......again, without a board there the dowels won't matter.

HTH

Summer09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Summer09 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 6

im so sily and didnt even think- i was so excited and went ahead and done it all up to a crumbcoat with the idea i would get the cake boards when i go shop later! - didnt even think past crumbcoat till i went to pick them up-

next time ill buy the cake board first icon_biggrin.gif then do the cake- im so impatient

any ideas how i can get it onto a cake bard when i buy one today? dont forget its already crumb coated icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

i thinks its going to have to be messy fingers ten patch bac up the BC

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 6

Take the cake on whatever board you have it (cutting board, etc.) and pop it into the freezer for 10 or 15 minutes.......that should harden it up enough that you can run a knife around the bottom edge and then get a spatula under there and transport it to a cake board.

Then I would let it come back to room temp (leave it for a good half hour or so) it might get a little wet looking, that's ok.......it will dry.......once it's dry then go ahead and do your final coat of icing.

If you freeze it for a bit there will be NO MESS!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 6

Wilton sells a cake lifter for about 10 bucks (I think), where you slide it under the cake to move it. Works great!

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 6

If you are just learning, you might as well learn the "best" way from the start! So, my advice is, instead of using cake boards, try foamcore and cut it to fit your cake. Then, frost the cake as if the board is part of the cake. Very stable and adds height for a nice look. And don't forget your dowels or bubble tea straws! I think you can probably find a tutorial here, or on the wilton website for stacking. Check it out! Also, I ordered SugarShack's video on stacking! Great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%