Ganach Under Icing?

Decorating By Ckks Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 7:57am by Ckks

Ckks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ckks Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:14am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the site although I have been lurking for a while! So nice to meet you all!

Ok I'm pretty new to cake decorating.. Some kind of fire has risen in me since doing my first birthday cake last week for my daughter. Proud moment haha.

I am going to do another cake for my other daughter. I am looking at doing a chocolate cake with buttercream icing and it has ganach on top of it. I'm just wondering if I can put rolled icing on top of this as I'm doing a 2 tier 'fairy' themed cake?

Sorry if this is a silly question. I am sooo eager to learn the art of cake decoration at the moment I am loving it!!

Thanks, alex xx

4 replies
njoycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njoycakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:20am
post #2 of 5

Fairly new myself but once you've caught the bug I have the feeling there is no recovering.
From what I've learnt so far, you cancrumb coat your cake by using either ganache or buttercream and then cover your cake in ready to roll icing/fondant/sugarpaste (choose the name appropriate to your location on this planet!).
Personally I wouldn't use both. I have mixed ganache and buttercream together as a fillingbetween layers (maybe that's what you meant) and then crumb coated the cake in ganache using the Planet Cake recipe, it works brilliantly and you get a really neat finish after 'hot knifing', I prefer it to using buttercream under my icing.
So in short (ha, not much!) your answer is YES!!!
for the Planet Cake method if you don't have time to get the book, try typing Planet Cake into google and when the results come up, along the top hit the drop down for 'more' and select books, you can get a preview of the book there and might be lucky enough to get the pages you're looking for. failing that, pm me and I'll send you what you need.
Good luck with the cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Ckks Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:17am
post #3 of 5

Thank you Njoycakes your answer was just what I needed!

I was unsure on whether I could use ganach on it's own under rolled icing! I have found a cake recipie I'd like to try for my daughters birthday cake and it has ganach on it and all the reviews were great! So I really wanted to use it but put rolled icing on top of it so I could make a little fairy garden scene.

Omg this cake has been keeping me awake for nights now as I keep thinking about it and what I want to do to it haha. I'm probably running before I can walk but I really want to try it!

Thanks for the website I'm gonna check it out in a minute!

Thanks again for your advice! And that cake in your profile pic looks gorgous!! If you made that yourself you are very talented! Xx

njoycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njoycakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:53am
post #4 of 5

Just one other thing that I forgot to mention just in case you can't get a hold of the book. After you've ganched the cake and just before you cover in icing brush a little sugar syrup on the cake, it'll help the icing to stick to the ganache better.
And thanks for the compliiment on the cake, it took a loooooong time! x

Don't forget to post a pic of the finished cake

Ckks Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:57am
post #5 of 5

I will do thanks again for your advice x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%