It's My Dream Job, But...

Business By Bekah1984 Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 4:18am by Bekah1984

Bekah1984 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:25am
post #1 of 7

It's 2am and I just finished re-baking the top layer of my top tier for a 150 serving homemade fondant covered creation I'm doing for a service awards dinner tomorrow for a local hospital. Sometimes my WASC cakes fall a little so I didn't think anything of it when this one did, but when I went to stack it was paste! I way underbaked, so I ran around my bosses (small caterer with commercial kitchen) kitchen trying to find a mix for my mess and I found a dollar store 1/2 batch mix of confetticake! There will be lots of cheesecake too, so we just won't cut and serve the top tier untill last (if at all!). I love my boss, she treats me like family. But I am the girl who lays the golden cakes and any other creative thing that lands in our lap. I spent all day today prepping for this shindig cutting fruit and making a base for a fruit sculpture and other general cooking/kitchen duties when I should have been caking. I clocked out at 6 pm came home said hi to hubby had dinner and ran to buy ribbon for cake (client went thru 4 contract revisions up to 9 days out!) then back to work by 9:30 at the kitcken to fill, stack and basecoat cakes...then the mush happened. So here I am waiting on my confetti embarrasment to finish baking...*sigh*
I'm only charging her $250 for this cake and NOBODY does fondant around here! She way underpriced this gig and did not up the cake price when they upped the guest #! She also gave free appetizer and cake tastings! Is there a good pricing software out there for general caters like there is for cakers? I know this is long and winding, but it is two thirty in the morning. I know you all understand. Am I being too nice? I know boss is a pushover, but she's been doing this for ten years! I wanna help her and make both our lives simpler! Any advice appriciated, Thanks- Bekah

6 replies
KHalstead Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 7

For advice on catering and bookkeeping, I'd try and get ahold of Indydebi.........she loves data and almost always knows the simplest way to figure out things!!

CakeInfatuation Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 7

I agree... Talk to Debi! She's wonderful. She did catering and cakes for years!

noahsmummy Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 7

ive heard gopod things about "cakeboss" software. im only a hobby baker and have never used the program, but its does pop up in discussion quite a bit around here.

minicuppie Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 7

Your employer is lucky to have such a caring employee. You will go far in life if you keep this good attitude.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 7

Yes Indy never met a spreadsheet she din love...or create and multiply.

But I mean clearly you ain't gonna have a job if this place operates like this because dude, it's not your company to save know what I mean.

I mean you cannot create and establish and maintain the business for her. This is in an imbalance that would be difficult to reincarnate.

I mean pricing structure is business 101--I'm just trying to be a voice of caution --not even that the bridge is out but there ain't no bridge at all.

I hope everything works out and of course there are extenuating circumstances that you din outline in this brief request

Bekah1984 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:18am
post #7 of 7

Hey guys! Thanks for the tips. I know Indydebbie is queen bee around here and I will certianly get in touch with her soon. I just wanted to let everyone know that the event went well and the best part is it's over! (after a 14 hr. day!) My cake was beautiful I "guess matched" colors perfectly since they didn't provide any sample colors. It even held up to the extreme heat and humidity today even if I didn't fare as well. I can't wait to sleep in tomorrow...just as soon as I can wind down enough to sleep!

Quote by @%username% on %date%