Make Your Own Wedding Cake With This? C'mon Now.

Decorating By CristyInMiami Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm by Melvira

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:16am
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

seriously... why can't they get actual cake decorators to talk about the product instead of some idiot woman? ugh!

That would be great. She can teach us something factual.

I know that the video that plays in Jo-Ann fabrics is with the Cricut girl and Carrie Biggers and she briefly shows you a thing or two.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #32 of 39

They could have Linda McClure talking about it and promoting it but they screwed her so now they have no one that can answer questions on how to use it.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 2:02am
post #33 of 39

Obviously HSN WAY oversold this item by making it sound like the Cricut would bake the cake, ice the cake, stack the cake and cut out and attach all those wonderful decorations all by its little lonesome. Ladies and gentlemen, just stand back and watch the magic happen! Clearly as the reviews come in the people who purchased this item with little to no cake experience are finding out for themselves that what they saw on TV and what happens in their kitchen are two entirely different things...all the while a few hundred dollars poorer for it. For a lot of people who bought this, the idea of making wedding cakes (or other cakes) is nothing more than a pipe dream unless they invest some real time in classes or another means of learning the ropes.

I have nothing at all against the Cricut - - I have one for scrapbooking and love it - - but I do take issue with the way HSN (approved by Provo Crafts, no doubt) has marketed it giving lots of false hope to thousands.

Way to go, HSN...she said sarcastically! thumbs_up.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:37am
post #34 of 39

Wow, I thought you were all being a bit harsh, then I watched the video. Wow.

I'm not finished it yet, but one of my favourite parts was at 10.54 about how she paid $10 per flower for her wedding cake 18 years ago and that now you could make sugar flowers yourself. I don't have one, but unless I'm grossly misinterpreting what this does, I don't think it will make edible flowers.

Ohh 22.57 - apparantly a stack of brown circles are not only 'cool' but 'adorable'.

31.00 - she cut out 'D' 'A' 'D' for Fathers' Day. Really? DAD? Crazy.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:28am
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

seriously... why can't they get actual cake decorators to talk about the product instead of some idiot woman? ugh!

because a real decorater wont try and BS people into thinking that making your own wedding cake is a good idea....... and so there will be no sales to inexperienced brides thinking they could do it themselves as ITS SO EASY icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:16am
post #36 of 39

BTW, yes, you can purchase fondant already rolled into sheets. They don't actually come big enough to cover a cake,, though, so you sort of have to "blend" them together. I can't imagine that works well either.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #37 of 39

Ok, I loved her math. Why buy a $200 cake when you can buy a $400 Cricut? How was that supposed to convince me? And why would she use that example anyway? What wedding cake costs $200? Try $2000.

thecakediva40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakediva40 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #38 of 39

Cake mix or from scratch it does not matter. I can't see a bride trying to make her own wedding cake a few days from her wedding! After taking all of Wilton's classes I have a new found respect for the cost of wedding cakes. It is more than a machine! It is detail work and very time consuming. Circut dose not make the cake, it only helps decorate it. I live in TN and I checked with a local bakery and a 4 tier bc cake with bc icing ig $699.99 and $5.00 extra for fillings. A 5 tier is $749.00 and the prices does not include tax which is 9.75!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm
post #39 of 39

I kind of feel sorry for the cake-mortals who are going to buy this and end up taking one for the team. Seriously, I think the machine looks pretty cool, would like to have one, but I have heard SO much from SEASONED CAKE PROFESSIONALS about all the problems they've had making it work. Imagine someone who doesn't even know the first thing about FRONDANT (snark!!) trying to make it work. This is marketing at it's most evil. Now, when I say stupid, I don't mean *stupid*, but unknowing... unsuspecting. I feel sorry for the 5 thousand 'stupid' brides who will fall for this and have their wedding day/cake ruined. They'll be serving hand frosted cupcakes because they couldn't get the cake baked, iced, covered in fondant, and 'perfect' in the 30 minutes they set aside for it. And who would waste money on a machine to decorate a cake they bought? I mean, yuk. Presumably if you're trying to save money, you'd go get a premade cake at the discount store, and we know most of those taste like garbage. Why would you serve that and then tell people you made it? Duh? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%