Make Your Own Wedding Cake With This? C'mon Now.

Decorating By CristyInMiami Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm by Melvira

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:46am
post #1 of 39

I have been checking out different videos/review on the cricut cake and came upon this HSN video. In minute 4:19 or so, the host starts telling the viewers that you can even make your own wedding cake wiith it. THe part I liked "the best" is when she tells people in a very sarcastic tone that us bakers charge "PER PERSON" like its unheard of. She does a quick mathematics and then asked the viewers "WHAT DOES CAKE MIX COST YOU?...Uh..huh"

I wonder how many people she reeled in with that?

This is the link to the video:

Minute 4:19

BTW- I finally ordered the Cricut, and not because I can make my own wedding cake! So excited!

38 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:15am
post #2 of 39

Uhh - Haaa .......................lollllllllll

Watched it - but had to tern it off when she said for the second time

"you know, your having some girlfriends coming around for afternoon tea and you wan to serve cake - make one of these"

A 2 tier cake - yep, thats what i am going to *whp* up for afternoon tea.
Gee, it should only take me 20 minutes - lollllllllllllllllll
Think i might go *whip* one up right now icon_wink.gif
After all - "how much does cake mix cost".................*cough*

Thankyou for posting - it was good to icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue.

CristyInMiami Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:19am
post #3 of 39

I knew that the CC crew would get a kick out of it. I am sure it did get someones wheels turning on how they can make all these fabulous cakes with just the click of a button. thumbs_up.gif

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:24am
post #4 of 39

Gah, that's so annoying. Even my husband was shaking his head.

It's a very exciting machine, and I'd love to have one myself, but I hope not too many cake muggles start thinking that the Cricut will turn them into cake masters.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:00am
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristyInMiami

I am sure it did get someones wheels turning on how they can make all these fabulous cakes with just the click of a button. thumbs_up.gif

I eagerly await the Youtube vids of people attempting to create their own wedding cake using this magical device! I mean, it's just cake mix! icon_cool.gif

CristyInMiami Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 39

HSN has 5 reviews for the product...all negative. I wouldn't be surprised if they bought it assuming it really was going to be as easy as the lady made it look. I have done my research on here and I know it takes time to get it.

I'll put in my 2 cents once I get mine. I'm nervous and excited!! icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 39

I love my Cricut and use it all the time for lettering but I had to share something that happened last night. One of my clients was talking about ordering her son's cake and she said she'd been by a local bakery where the baker was doing a wedding cake demonstration. She said it was a real eye opener about how cakes are now a mix of serious engineering and high art...SO different from what our mom's use to make in the kitchen! I wish others could see the work it takes, the knowledge it takes and the constant education it takes to do what we do every day! My client said she had never had a problem paying my prices since my cakes were always perfect for them but now she really appreciated why the prices were what they were since now she sees what we all go thru to make our edible works of art. Wonderful!

Wish everyone knew it's NOT "just cake mix"!

Cat

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 39

that's kinda like saying a painting is just a little paint and a brush. Grrrrr

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 39

thank you CristyInMiami for posting. I now know what a cake cricut is. I see how it can make it easier for a cake decorator. You know those reviews had to be from people whom have had no cake decorating experience. I had a women at work seriously think she could do a cake that she saw in one of my cake magazine from a cake show. If it were that easy there would be no cake central or anything else, idiots.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 39

Wait till they stack a few tiers with no support and it all caves in "-)

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 39

I LOVE how she just gets her fondant already rolled out from the bakery, ordered that way so she gets to do the fun part...? Is she buying a plain, fondant covered cake that she can just decorate now? I'm guessing so. Is she paying for a fully decorated cake already?? YES, but now she just gets to play with her little toy...

They do make it so very classy and food safe with the plastic package bows on top of cakes...thats cake decorating skill there... icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:56pm
post #12 of 39

I wanna know where you can buy a fondant covered cake for $20

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:01pm
post #13 of 39

Sure you can make your own wedding cake! Just start with the same plastic cake dummies they use! Done and done. I saw a Cricut cake demo and that's what they used. icon_eek.gif Then the demo lady said "I wish I knew how to decorate real cake." Yipes.

I mean, it looks like a useful tool for someone who knows how to do cakes, but for the average person, not so sure.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:16pm
post #14 of 39

I love how the first lady says that stencils are a one time use item. REALLY?! I MUST be doing something wrong because I re-use them.
Did anyone else notice at 1:14 she says you can cut "fRondant"?

tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:20pm
post #15 of 39

You can cut fondant.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:33pm
post #16 of 39

This video actually made me feel a bit sick to my stomach. They made it seems "just so easy". It's not! It kind of threw me off when she said you just wrap up the gumpaste and pop it in the freezer. What? Is gumpaste supposed to go in the freezer!? Also the part about buying the fondant already rolled out. What!? You can't buy it like that! People are going to be buying this machine thinking it just so easy, when in fact, who makes the cake, who covers it in fondant (covered in fondant perfectly I might add)? Whatever, eh!?

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm
post #17 of 39

The cutesy demonstrator's voice and horrid pronunciation...I want to be ill. The rest of it is just as nauseating...

I prefer to have SKILLS of my own and not use a machine as a crutch. Sure, there are some items that would be nice, but for $400...?!? Puh-lease.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:53pm
post #18 of 39

I love my cricut cake! BUT I feel bad for the people who actually think that they will be able to make their own wedding cake. No experience - just whip up some cake mix - put on the fondant - cut out the pretty scrolls and there it is! WOW These brides will end up without a cake!!

allthehobbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allthehobbies Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:54pm
post #19 of 39

What cracks me up is that in the example the OP mentions, the woman says "what if you're having 50 people at your wedding, and they charge $4 per person, that's $200"...

The machine they're selling costs $400!! I'm not saying anything positive or negative about the product itself, but if you're going to give an example, wouldn't you make it sound ridiculous? The cake example she gave still costs half as much as the price of the Cricut!

I would think you would say something like $5 per person, 200 people, that's $1000, making the Cricut a bargain!

It's still a terrible example, but at least it makes the price of the Cricut sound like a deal.

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:13pm
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemh7

What cracks me up is that in the example the OP mentions, the woman says "what if you're having 50 people at your wedding, and they charge $4 per person, that's $200"...

The machine they're selling costs $400!! I'm not saying anything positive or negative about the product itself, but if you're going to give an example, wouldn't you make it sound ridiculous? The cake example she gave still costs half as much as the price of the !

I would think you would say something like $5 per person, 200 people, that's $1000, making the a bargain!

It's still a terrible example, but at least it makes the price of the sound like a deal.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 7:00am
post #21 of 39

LOLLLL - Yes - i icon_confused.gif when i heard the word fRondant - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I thought - did she say Rodent - surly not - rewound and listened again - it was indeed fRondant.

*slap forehead* - and here i have been washing my stencils and reusing them .......... pfffft, next time i just chuck that $25.00 baby in the bin and buy another .................. NOT.

Bluehue.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 7:28am
post #22 of 39

wow.. Talk about misleading advertising!! I couldnt watch it all the way through. Although I did see the butterflies.. guess they didnt bother to tell them to let them dry.. icon_lol.gif

One of the reasons I didnt buy a cricut... 'cause I figure in a few months E-bay will be loaded down with them !! Now I know that was a good decision.. all those people who watched that and bought it..and cant figure it out.. or get their cakes right.. will be hoping some other unsuspecting "idiot" will buy it... That is when us cakers can come in for the deals!! icon_biggrin.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 12:07pm
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

wow.. Talk about misleading advertising!! I couldnt watch it all the way through. Although I did see the butterflies.. guess they didnt bother to tell them to let them dry.. icon_lol.gif

One of the reasons I didnt buy a ... 'cause I figure in a few months E-bay will be loaded down with them !! Now I know that was a good decision.. all those people who watched that and bought it..and cant figure it out.. or get their cakes right.. will be hoping some other unsuspecting "idiot" will buy it... That is when us cakers can come in for the deals!! icon_biggrin.gif

WOW - How smart are you!!!!!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:37pm
post #24 of 39
Quote:

One of the reasons I didnt buy a ... 'cause I figure in a few months E-bay will be loaded down with them !! Now I know that was a good decision.. all those people who watched that and bought it..and cant figure it out.. or get their cakes right.. will be hoping some other unsuspecting "idiot" will buy it... That is when us cakers can come in for the deals!! icon_biggrin.gif

hehehe. Great thinking. lol I own one but I scrapbook and had the Expressions and I can use this one for paper with the E's blade and mats. So I sold my E to offset the Cake's cost.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:02pm
post #25 of 39

At around the 5:00 mark, she"implies" that wedding cakes are "cookie cutter cakes" when she "points out" that cake makers have cutters and they're all one size, but with this machine "...you can do ANY size and ANY color YOU want!"

Oh geesh! Does she not know there are THOUSANDS of cutters out there and all in multiple sizes? Does she honestly think that when a bride orders her cake, the baker will say, "Sorry, this cake only comes in blue."

Not slamming the machine at all ... watching this makes me go "hmmmm.... looks interesting!" The sales pitch blows me away.

And yeah .... if every housewife starts with a baked, stacked, iced, fondant'd cake, it should be (as we say in the trade) "a piece of cake!"

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 8:16pm
post #26 of 39

Completel hilarious! I think this device it pretty rediculous to be marketed to the general public. I could see how this cricut machine could have been marketed to cake decorators, even grocery stores, in house bakeries, hobbyists, etc... but to advertise to the general public about how easy it is to make a cake is just stupid!

Who the HECK would spend $400 for a machine that makes the last 10 minutes of a 4 hour cake "easy"? Like I said, for cake hobbyists and professionals... maybe, but for everyone else? So stupid!! thumbsdown.gif

CristyInMiami Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemh7

The machine they're selling costs $400!! I'm not saying anything positive or negative about the product itself, but if you're going to give an example, wouldn't you make it sound ridiculous? The cake example she gave still costs half as much as the price of the !

I would think you would say something like $5 per person, 200 people, that's $1000, making the a bargain!

It's still a terrible example, but at least it makes the price of the sound like a deal.

Oh, man! I wish I would have thought of that!!!

This has been by far the worst cricut selling pitch I have seen, but then again, I don't like how the HSn sells their things. It has always annoyed me.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 9:52pm
post #28 of 39

FYI...you can pick them up now on eBay for less than $200. Thas is new..not used.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:36am
post #29 of 39
Quote:

That's exactly what I'm waiting for. icon_smile.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:01am
post #30 of 39

seriously... why can't they get actual cake decorators to talk about the product instead of some idiot woman? ugh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%