Did I Screw Up?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 3:39am by all4cake

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #1 of 11

OK, I made the ganache tonight and chilled it for a few hours. (16 oz chocolate to 1 cup cream). Then I took it out, put it in the food processer and blended it till smooth and a little fluffy. I applied it as a crumb coat to the cake. Now, it feels really hard to touch. Did I screw up? Is it supposed to feel so hard? I'm hoping it cuts ok! I plan on covering it with peanut butter buttercream icing (butter, not shortening). Will the ganache soften up? Please, tell me I didn't destroy this cake.

10 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 11

I ain't sayin' nothin'.

j/k

How can you destroy a cake with chocolate? I don't think you ruined it. Would you be able to fix it if you found out you did?

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:24am
post #3 of 11

Do you have any left over? Spread a layer about the same thickness as on your cake onto parchment paper and let it set up. Attempt to cut with a knife. If it works, you're good to go and can stop worrying. icon_smile.gif

(I'm pretty sure you're fine. I do 2:1 ganache frequently and I don't have problems with people having to chomp away at it.)

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:27am
post #4 of 11

When I make ganache I usually do a 1:1 ratio and I don't whip it. That said, when I put it on cake it's pretty solid. I mean compared to buttercream it's very hard, but it's not hard to cut. So I don't think you ruined it.

Like all4cake said, how can you ruin cake with chocolate? icon_smile.gif

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:27am
post #5 of 11

all4cake: what do you mean you're not saying nothing? Do you know that I screwed it up? This cake is for my daughter's 30th birthday, so it needs to be great! I love the idea of putting it on wax paper. I'll try that. Thank you so much for suggesting it!!!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:29am
post #6 of 11

sending you a pm with a link to help you out.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:30am
post #7 of 11

Mine firms up after I ice my cake but I don't put mine in the refrigerator so it's never "hard". I think it will probably be ok.

all4cake Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:33am
post #8 of 11

I said I was j/k. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you worry.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:37am
post #9 of 11

Ganache does firm up a little. However, at room temp, it cuts easily and melts like butter on the tongue. It is like chocolate magic.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:38am
post #10 of 11

sent the link. it is one of the places blocked on here so it wont show up in post.. which sucks because it has the best info on ganache that I have found anywhere.

all4cake Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:39am
post #11 of 11

yeah...think truffle centers which use about the same ratio you used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%