Cracking Buttercream... I Hate It.

Decorating By HarleyDee Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm by michel30014

HarleyDee Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #1 of 14

After a several month hiatus I finally have my computer (somewhat) back. At least I can post on here again.

Anyway, I need to know why my buttercream is getting little cracks in it. I use SugarShack's recipe of Crisco, powdered sugar and water. It spread great, smooths great, but then eventually the slightest movement of it causes cracks. It's really aggravating me.

Last week I did a cake and waited almost 24 hours before stacking the tiers. Cracks.. today I was working on a cake and stacked the tiers right after smoothing. Cracks..

I don't get it.. any suggestions? Is it in my recipe? In my stacking method?

13 replies
leily Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:47am
post #2 of 14

usually when buttercream cracks it's because your cake is moving to much. It sounds like you need more support under your cake, you may want to try doubling up on your boards.

cheatize Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:30am
post #3 of 14

Welcome back! There's a rash of cracking going around. I wonder if one of the ingredients have changed in some way?

mbark Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:49am
post #4 of 14

the Sugarshack BC recipe I use has high-ratio shortening & coffee-mate dissolved in very hot water, maybe your recipe is off?

HarleyDee Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

the Sugarshack BC recipe I use has high-ratio shortening & coffee-mate dissolved in very hot water, maybe your recipe is off?

That's what I use too..

pupandbon Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 14

I've been having this issue lately as well. I am not doing anything different with my cake boards, using the 1/2" foamcore and even single layer cakes are cracking...it's like the icing is crusting too much or too dry. Very frustrating!!!

tesso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 14

I switched from crisco to sweetex.. bye bye cracks. I also couldnt get my crisco based icing to smooth anymore. grr icon_mad.gif which is why i switched to begin with. GFS sells the sweetex.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 14

If the cracking is happening only after you make the cakes, my guess is it is the board under it, it needs to be thicker. If it is too thin it will give, the cake will give and it will cause cracks in your icing.

If it is cracking before you move the cake, then I'm not sure.

HarleyDee Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

I switched from crisco to sweetex.. bye bye cracks. I also couldnt get my crisco based icing to smooth anymore. grr icon_mad.gif which is why i switched to begin with. GFS sells the sweetex.

Tesso, what bc recipe do you use?

sugarshack Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 14

my recipe does not use crisco nor water, both of those will be more prone to cracks.

mine uses sweetex and the coofee creamer liquid. but even with the right recipe, if your cake board is flexing, you will get cracks.

HTH

BosCakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:19pm
post #11 of 14

could a switch from a warm humid kitchen to a cold fridge cause hairline cracks? my cake looked fine last night, but when i took it out of the fridge today, these tiny cracks happened. it's only a tiny 6" round, so i don't think it's a support issue. it is the first time i've made icing with all high ratio shortening...and ideas? And some of the color bled into the cracks, looks like little tiny lightening bolts...grr...lightening bolts on a golf cake!!!

BosCakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 14

also, should i allow the cake to come to room temp before i deliver it? my van doesn't get that cold from the ac..

kakeladi Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:45pm
post #13 of 14

There is one other possibility that hasn't been mentioned.
Since Z has mentioned you probably are not using her recipe then you might not have enough fat (be it butter, Crisco, HiRatio whatever). Increase your fat by just a bit - maybe a couple of tablespoons - and cream it well before proceeding with the recipe. One does not want to thin the icing; you want to make it creamier.

michel30014 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

There is one other possibility that hasn't been mentioned.
Since Z has mentioned you probably are not using her recipe then you might not have enough fat (be it butter, Crisco, HiRatio whatever). Increase your fat by just a bit - maybe a couple of tablespoons - and cream it well before proceeding with the recipe. One does not want to thin the icing; you want to make it creamier.

This is so true!! I recently tried Tonedna's buttercream recipe and love it. I was having issues with cracking also but with her recipe, I haven't had any so far. Her recipe is located on her website at http://www.designmeacake.com. She is awesome! She has a few tutorials that might help, too..... icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%