Help! My Wilton Voilet Won't Turn Violet-Just Blue!

Baking By lissergirl Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 7:19am by Ballymena

lissergirl Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:41am
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to finish an important cake for tomorrow and my Wilton violet gel color won't turn my icing violet-just blue. I thought I'd gotten the violet and royal container caps switched, but that wasn't it. I just opened a NEW container of violet and got a new bowl of icing and started over but the same thing happened! I'm making key lime icing-could it be the lime juice? Thanks in advance for your help!

7 replies
Thanksharla Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:48am
post #2 of 8

I'm not sure if it's the lime juice or not. Could you try just a tiny bit of red?

lissergirl Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #3 of 8

I tried adding red gel to the 1st batch but it turned gray-ish blue. You think powder would work any better? Or maybe add rose (hot pink) instead of red?

sweetcakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:09am
post #4 of 8

if the red didn't fix it then i bet the lime juice is acting like a bleach. Can you just make up a small batch for decoration with out the key lime?

Marniela Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:28am
post #5 of 8

I had the same problem trying to make lemon buttecream purple. I tried using extract rather than fresh lemon juice and it still went blue. I tried Wilton and Americolor and still no purple buttecream!! I eventually gave up out of frustration!! Would like to know if you find something that works. Best of luck..

icer101 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:35am
post #6 of 8

is it american b/c with all butter or butter and crisco or hi-tatio. butter will make violet turn blue instead of violet. even in smbc and imbc.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:41am
post #7 of 8

Are you using water or milk as the liquid in your buttercream? Water causes purple to turn blue. Well, actually I believe it causes the red (red+blue=purple) to fade, which leaves the blue. Try using milk instead.

Ballymena Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:19am
post #8 of 8

Lemon and lime juices are a bleach. I've use pure lemon juice to remove a stain from a blouse that can't be bleached with chemical bleaches, learned this from my grandmother. It will do to colors exactly what you are describing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%