Purple Royal Icing

Decorating By KTB4 Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm by Bakingangel

KTB4 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:22am
post #1 of 8

We all know purple is a PITA colour to work with but sadly I have no choice. I need to make a cake with a bunch of pansies on it and her favourite colour is purple. Therefore it will be a purple pansy cake icon_smile.gif

I was to make the flowers this weekend if possible since I need the cake for the 21st but am hoping to get a head start on them. Will my colour fade ina week do you think? How do I get it to stay purple? I will be using Americolors.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
Ballymena Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:51am
post #2 of 8

What icing are you using? I haven't had a problem with purple. I do RI pansies a lot but I keep them in a container away from the light until I use them. If you are using BC keep them in the fridge.

KTB4 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:21am
post #3 of 8

I was going to use royal so that I can make them this weekend. I'll keep them away from light then. Thanks icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 8

I made little dummy cakes that was covered with fondant. On the top I did purple fondant flowers for the decoration I did scrolls and a bead border in purple royal icing. The purple fondant faded to blue under florescent lights in less than 24 hours, the purple royal icing stayed purple, even months later.

I'm a WMI and my students do (or did) two purple royal icing flowers in the courses, in the week and two week span between making them and putting them on the cake no one has ever had any issues with them. I've never instructed them to keep them in the dark either, so I'm sure many of them had them out in the open.

I think you will be fine starting now. If all else fails you can cover them after they are dark or put them in a dark room (out of sunlight and florescent light) but for some reason I don't think royal fades out like the fondant or buttercream does.

Ballymena Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 8

[/quote]I don't think royal fades out like the fondant or buttercream does.

Quote:
Quote:

No, royal isn't nearly as bad as FGP or BC. My deep pink GP roses in a store with mercury vapor lighting turned a pretty light lime green, and very evenly. It looks like I made them that color.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

No, royal isn't nearly as bad as FGP or BC. My deep pink GP roses in a store with mercury vapor lighting turned a pretty light lime green, and very evenly. It looks like I made them that color.

icon_eek.gif Okay I get the purple to blue since that is one of the colors in it, but how does pink go to green? Weird! Atleast it was even so you could claim you meant it that way. icon_smile.gif

Ballymena Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 8

And so I did.lol

Bakingangel Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 8

I've never worked with RI to make flowers, but I was wondering if it would be possible to use petal dust on them if they lightened up? Just a wild thought! Has anyone tried it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%