Gum Glue Question

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm by DianeLM

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #1 of 11

What is the consistency of gum glue supposed to be? I've made some (water and tylose, right? Nuked a bit or whatever?) and have been using it now and then...I don't make alot of figurines (thankfully...it tries my patience!!!!) but this week I have a bazillion gazillion figurine animals to make...wow... tapedshut.gif .....anyway...

What is gum glue supposed to be like, anyhow? Mine is kinda thick, seems a good consistency, but its kinda slimy. I mean...I would think of "glue" as "sticky". It works okay for sticking fresh fondant or gumpaste, but its not really "sticky" enough to glue dried pieces together.

Am I doing something wrong?

10 replies
jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:23am
post #2 of 11

I usually just throw some gumpaste in water and use that. Tends to be sticky enough. Oh and it's kinda of slimy, so I bet you are ok.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:28am
post #3 of 11

I use gumpaste powder and water. No nuking. It's thick and yucky and works great.

Kitagrl Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 11

Does it stick dried pieces together?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 11

It's not good for sticking dried pieces together. Or even sticking fresh to dried.

IMO, the best glue for dried pieces is melted chocolate.

Kitagrl Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

It's not good for sticking dried pieces together. Or even sticking fresh to dried.

Ohhhhh. Okay. That helps! My gum glue must be just fine then.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Really? I'm confused then.

I've been watching videos of sugar paste flowers and they dry each section before they add to the next and they use gum glue to attach each section.

Or am I thinking of the wrong thing? Are you talking about sugar paste flowers?

Last night I made a fantasy flower in a wilton class and we used the gum paste and put a little bit in a little bit of water and let it sit for a few minutes. It was watery still because the gum paste still had not dissolved all the way. This morning I looked at it and it stuck like glue. In fact my DD put too much on and you can see it around the egde. So we didn't make it like a paste, still watery and it still worked to hold the pieces together.

Kitagrl Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 11

Hmm maybe I'll try that and see what happens.

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 11

Nicholas Lodge method: Always use the tylose & water...no nuking necessary. Just dump a little tylose in couple ounces of water...shake and refrigerate overnight. Remake every 3 weeks (approx) OR refrigerate to prevent molding.

This edible glue doesn't usually leave marks and it is suppose to be thick & "slimy." Bottom line...no matter what you use...if it sticks...it works!!!

DianeLM Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 11

Yeah, I'll have to try that, too. My gum glue is pretty thin and slimy (tylose and water). Works great for gluing fresh pieces, but fails miserably on dried pieces. I'm gonna drop a blob of gumpaste in some water right now.

DianeLM Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 11

I use the Nic Lodge recipe and I can tell ya with confidence -- it doesn't work on dried pieces. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%