Cake Sparkle

Decorating By Cindy0716 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 2:52pm by Karen421

Cindy0716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy0716 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:44am
post #1 of 5

I love sparkle; the more the better!! Between edible glitter, lulster dust, disco dust, petal dust, sparkle dust, shimmer dust, sanding sugar, etc., how do I know which product is going to give me the most glitz? I want dazzling results. What is the difference between edible glitter and disco dust? Which one sparkles more? Can someone help me?

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:26am
post #2 of 5

Biggest difference is that edible glitter (cake sparkles) IS edible. It's made from dried gum arabic. It comes in flakes that can be made smaller by grinding in a small tea strainer with the handle of a spatula.

Disco/pixie dusts are NOT edible---they're finely ground a PLASTIC. Some have metal, too. They're for decorative use on items that will NOT be eaten. They're non-toxic, so it's OK of they touch something that will be eaten.

HTH
Rae

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:39am
post #3 of 5

Oh wow! Thanks so much for that info! I had no idea! Yikes!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:11am
post #4 of 5

Thanks, won't be using grouond plastic or metals on my cakes.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Biggest difference is that edible glitter (cake sparkles) IS edible. It's made from dried gum arabic. It comes in flakes that can be made smaller by grinding in a small tea strainer with the handle of a spatula.

Disco/pixie dusts are NOT edible---they're finely ground a PLASTIC. Some have metal, too. They're for decorative use on items that will NOT be eaten. They're non-toxic, so it's OK of they touch something that will be eaten.

HTH
Rae

I had no idea! Thanks!! Learned something new already and it is still early!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%