How Much Fondant To I Need?

Decorating By joyfullysweet Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 1:04am by Karen421

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:31am
post #1 of 6

I'm a little confused about how much fondant I need to cover a square 10" cake. I'm getting different answers from different places. One place said 48 ounces?! That seems like an awful lot. I'm using Fondarific and the chart on the website is only for rounds. However they do say to find the square inches of your cake and multiply by .00444. If that's the case, then I get about 1.75 pounds which is 28 ounces, nowhere close to 48! I'm so confused!

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:33am
post #2 of 6

I don't think it would take much more than a pound. It wouldn't for me anyway. Who in the world told you it would take 48 ounces? icon_eek.gif It will not take that much I'm positive. Heck it won't even take half that much. icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:44am
post #3 of 6

sorry...duplicate post icon_redface.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:45am
post #4 of 6

The Wilton yearbook suggests 48oz for a 10 inch square! Yikes. I agree that is an over estimate. I would go with 28 oz that sounds much more reasonable.

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #5 of 6

Thanks! I wonder if it's a ploy to get you to buy more? Hmmmm...sugarart said 48oz. too. I will color 2 pounds just to be safe! Thanks again! I'm nervous, never covered a square cake with fondant before.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #6 of 6

I just used the Wilton guide to estimate two wedding cakes and nearly had a heart attack!! So I am sooooo happy to read they are over estimating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%