Pillars-Please Help, Sorry If It Seem Stupid

Decorating By sberryp Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 8:43pm by sberryp

sberryp Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 5

I know this may be a stupid question, but I really can not figure it out. I saw some pillars today and I saw the plates that go with them. I wanted to know do you have to use the plates? I noticed on the cakes on here (the ones that used the pillars), you could not see the plates. How is it that you can not see the plates? Is there something else you can buy instead of the plates that will help keep the pillars in place? Thanks for you help.

4 replies
leily Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:23am
post #2 of 5

typically if you can't see the plates it's because the same size plate was used for the same cake.

For instance on this cake here

The top is a 6" sitting on a 6" plate (once decorated you can't see the plate)
The next one is a 9" cake sitting on a 9" plate. The pillars are then underneath the 9" and 6"

HTH

CWR41 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:12am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

I saw some pillars today and I saw the plates that go with them.

Since you typed "plates" (plural), if it's safe to assume you're talking about 4 pillars with two plates that go with them, that's a double-plate separator. The lower plate will show unless you ice over it, pipe over it, cover it with flowers, or cover it with fondant.

If you aren't talking about the double-plate separator, but rather the single-plate separator (SPS) or push-in type pillars, then no bottom plate is used.

Your top plate of the system can be the same size as your cake, or 1" larger, or 2 inches larger. If you'd prefer for it to not be seen, some people even use a size or two smaller than the cake but the cake is on top of its own circle or even foamcore support board. Hope this helps!

sberryp Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

I saw some pillars today and I saw the plates that go with them.

Since you typed "plates" (plural), if it's safe to assume you're talking about 4 pillars with two plates that go with them, that's a double-plate separator. The lower plate will show unless you ice over it, pipe over it, cover it with flowers, or cover it with fondant.

If you aren't talking about the double-plate separator, but rather the single-plate separator (SPS) or push-in type pillars, then no bottom plate is used.

Your top plate of the system can be the same size as your cake, or 1" larger, or 2 inches larger. If you'd prefer for it to not be seen, some people even use a size or two smaller than the cake but the cake is on top of its own circle or even foamcore support board. Hope this helps!

Thanks this is exactly what I was talking about. How is it that the plate is not showing on top of the base cake. Thanks for giving me some ideas

sberryp Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 5

With the 2 plates and 4 pillars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%