Can You Use Sand Paper On Gumpaste?

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 12:17pm by Karen421

bvwilliams Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 10

I tried to make a gumpaste wine bottle but when I tried removing it from the real bottle that I used to mold it, the gumpaste bottle cracked in several places. I repaired it by wetting my finger and smoothing patches of gumpaste over the cracks. It worked but now the bottle isn't as smooth. What can I use to smooth out the patches so my bottle is smooth again? Is sand paper acceptable and will it work?

9 replies
Elcee Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 10

I don't think sandpaper is food safe. I think I'd fill it in with really wet gumpaste and smooth it with a piece of parchment or even plastic wrap.

tonedna Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 10

I dont know if it's food safe but I know I have seen famous people use it for fixing lines. Is this a part that people will eat or just a decoration?
Edna icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #4 of 10

I too have seen them sand gumpaste on TV. So, I think you can - but not if it is to be eaten.

ninatat Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #5 of 10

if it's not going to be eaten you can get 1000 grit wet sandpaper, it's usually black and you wet it while using,

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:21am
post #6 of 10

Fine grit sandpaper will work.

Also, a fine metal emery board (for finger nails will work, too).

Rae

Cookie4 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:32am
post #7 of 10

I have a nail file for acrylic nails that I purchased from Sally's Beauty Supply that I reserve for smoothing gumpaste decorations. The nail file has and never will be used for nails and I keep it in a zip lock bag with my cake items.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:42am
post #8 of 10

Sandpaper is not a good idea if it going to be eaten or go on something to be eaten. Some of the grit is almost invisible, but you'll know it if you chew it!

Try a file like the other poster said. Also, a moistened sponge can be used as well. Finally, just before dry, maybe use a fondant smoother, possibly with plastic wrap or parchment if necessary.

bvwilliams Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:18am
post #9 of 10

Thank you everyone for all the ideas. The bottle is just for decoration and will not be eaten. I will try the file idea and if I can't get it to work for me, then I'll use the grit sandpaper as a last resort.

I will make sure to really wipe down the gumpaste bottle before I paint it. Then maybe the paint will seal in whatever grit is left on it. Any ideas on what type of food coloring to use? I've seen pics on CC where the bottle is really shiny and looks like real glass. What type of food color should I use to get that glassy look?

Karen421 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:17pm
post #10 of 10

On one of the really shiny bottle cakes posted here, the baker (and I can't remember who it was, sorry) used 1 part vodka to 1 part liquid glucose. Mix it together and paint it on. The cake is really amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%