Anyone Ever Made And Decorated Dog Cookies?

Baking By stephilde Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 7:14pm by cerasmiles

stephilde Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 5

This may be a little off topic for these boards but I thought I would try. I have an opportunity to make dog cookies decorated to look like people cookies icon_lol.gif I am trying to figure out the best icing to use. I have read that royal icing and fondant are not harmful but I would rather make it from yogurt or carrob. I am trying to figure out a yogurt recipe or something that will dry and set up like royal icing. Anyone have any ideas? I was also thinking about taking cornstarch and subbing that for most of the powdered sugar in royal icing- do you think that would work?

4 replies
CookieMeister Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 5

I only use almond bark and carob to decorate my dog treats. And sometimes I'll color the almond bark to make a certain design. And I still use them sparingly - great quantities of them just aren't good for puppy tummies.

I wouldn't advise using cornstarch in place of powdered sugar - some dogs have very negative gastric reactions to corn.

I run all my dog treat recipes by my vet, and ask him about potential problems. It's amazing the things that are bad for a dog's system, so if you try something new, please do the same.

Montrealconfections Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 5

I know my local petstore sells these maybe visit your and read the ingredients?

stephilde Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 5

what exactly is almond bark? is it white chocolate? I have read that white chocolate is ok just not normal chocolate. I do plan to talk to my vet, but i am trying to get an idea of what recipes are going to dry properly and work for me first. thanks!!!!

cerasmiles Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 5

you might want to try some yogurt powder for your royal icing. Its easy to find online . Trader joes and I think whole foods carries it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%