Making Fondant Vs Ready Made

Decorating By jayne1873 Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 2:09am by Yorkiemum

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 21

Just wondering how many people make their own fondant rather than buy it.
I have never made my own (I am in the UK) but just been looking at Utube to see how to make MMF and it looks quite easy but wonder if its cost effective, easier to use, tastes better???
What are your reasons?

20 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 21

I use 2 different recipes one with marshmallows and the other is glucose based. Both are less expensive to make than most of the fondant I am able to buy here in Canada. Purchased fondant is $3.50/lb and up to $15/lb. Homemade is $1.50/lb. It doesn't take very long to make either and I find it relaxing.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 21

I've never had good results with MMF and I've made it several times. It's just not for me. I make Michele Foster's Fondant and I love it. I wouldn't use any other after using hers because it's that good. It is "hands down" the best for taste and workability and it's inexpensive to make.

You can find the recipe here on cc. Go to recipes and type Michele Foster's fondant in the "search" box. I make the white chocolate version 99.9% of the time because the chocolate makes it even more pliable and the taste is absolutely wonderful. I can eat it by the handfuls. icon_lol.gif The best white chocolate to use is the Baker's white chocolate squares that come in a box. I use the 6 ounce box per recipe.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 21

I've never worked with pre-made fondant. Wilton is the only option in my area unless I order it online and pay a bunch for shipping. I have worked alot with MMF and I find it pretty cost effective. The main ingredients are pretty inexpensive. I made 5 batches to make the wedding cake in my pictures and I had some left for another project.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 21

I keep saying I'm going to make my own, but I keep having these wonderful 50% off coupons for Michaels, so I end up stocking up on more Duff (Fondarific). SInce my Michaels' only carries black, red, white and chocolate, I will be making MFF soon when I need other colors. It's just so darn convenient, though....
PS - I just got two more Joann's 50% off coupons, and will be buying two more tubs @ Michael's this coming week... icon_redface.gif

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:18am
post #6 of 21

I used pre-made the first few times I tried working with fondant, and I think that was a fine way to start, but it's rare for anyone to want to actually eat that stuff. Even the better brands don't really taste GOOD. Having finally tried MMF a few times I will never go back. It tastes so much better and is soooooo much cheaper! (Well, not counting the labor cost of making it, but I am a hobbyist, not a caker-for-pay, and the MMF goes together so fast that I doubt the labor cost is much anyway.) The first time I made MMF it was not as easy to work with as the premade, but now that I've got more experience I am better able to judge how much powdered sugar to use and things like that, and I don't have that problem.

Robin, I've seen your comment that MMF doesn't work for you many times now and I checked out the MFF recipe...and as far as I can tell, it just starts with the exact same ingredients that are in marshmallows! I wonder what the difference is? I have an aversion to working with gelatin icon_lol.gif so I will stick with the convenience of microwaving marshmallows, thanks. icon_wink.gif

dsilvest Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:27am
post #7 of 21

That is really interesting KayMc that Duff fondant is cost effective. In Canada it is $30 for 2 lbs so even with the 40% off coupon it is $11 per lb. Too expensive for me to even consider trying! How much is it in the US?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:13am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I've never had good results with MMF and I've made it several times. It's just not for me. I make Michele Foster's Fondant and I love it. I wouldn't use any other after using hers because it's that good. It is "hands down" the best for taste and workability and it's inexpensive to make.

You can find the recipe here on cc. Go to recipes and type Michele Foster's fondant in the "search" box. I make the white chocolate version 99.9% of the time because the chocolate makes it even more pliable and the taste is absolutely wonderful. I can eat it by the handfuls. icon_lol.gif The best white chocolate to use is the Baker's white chocolate squares that come in a box. I use the 6 ounce box per recipe.

Ditto for the fondant except I have never tried the MMF.

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:16am
post #9 of 21

i have made MMF but it never comes out right for me. Has lines and cracks in it when rolled out. I will try Michele Foster's fondant and see if works better. Buying SI is easier, but expensive!!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:25am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyml

I used pre-made the first few times I tried working with fondant, and I think that was a fine way to start, but it's rare for anyone to want to actually eat that stuff. Even the better brands don't really taste GOOD. Having finally tried MMF a few times I will never go back. It tastes so much better and is soooooo much cheaper! (Well, not counting the labor cost of making it, but I am a hobbyist, not a caker-for-pay, and the MMF goes together so fast that I doubt the labor cost is much anyway.) The first time I made MMF it was not as easy to work with as the premade, but now that I've got more experience I am better able to judge how much powdered sugar to use and things like that, and I don't have that problem.

Robin, I've seen your comment that MMF doesn't work for you many times now and I checked out the MFF recipe...and as far as I can tell, it just starts with the exact same ingredients that are in marshmallows! I wonder what the difference is? I have an aversion to working with gelatin icon_lol.gif so I will stick with the convenience of microwaving marshmallows, thanks. icon_wink.gif

Not to knock you so don't get upset but I can't stand the taste of mmf or the workability. I have tried almost all the fondants in the us. Massa by albert uster is by far my favorite but so expensive. I just tried fondarific and love the taste and workability. Tastes like candy corn to me which I love. I also really like the white chocolate fondant by albert uster. Tastes wonderful.

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:38am
post #11 of 21

KayMc - I see you mention Duff's is Fondarific - awhile ago I posted a thread asking about Duff's fondant - didn't get much response... One other person replied &mentioned the same thing - how did u find out? I really hate wilton's fondant & don't have SI easily available -would love to have a quick go to fondant but didn't want to waste $ until I knew if others thought it was cake worthy (lol).

Haven't gotten the nerve to try making MMF but thinking I'll give Foster's a try bc I've seen a lot of people are happy with it here on CC.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:05am
post #12 of 21

I started making my own MMF a year ago and will never go back. I had used the Wilton before that and it tasted SO bad and, in retrospect, was SO hard to work with. It costs me about $5 per batch of fondant...the same amount would cost almost $20 if I bought something like Satin Ice. HOWEVER, I will buy SI if I need a lot of red or black. These are just too hard to get the color right with MMF for me. I add flavoring and not only does it taste good but I actually have people coming back and picking at the fondant off the cake to eat after eating their whole slice! So, yes, very cost effective and, for me, really easy to use. The only time I have issues is in high humidity, other wise, piece of cake<G>

hollyml Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:29am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

Not to knock you so don't get upset but I can't stand the taste of mmf or the workability. I have tried almost all the fondants in the us. Massa by albert uster is by far my favorite but so expensive. I just tried fondarific and love the taste and workability. Tastes like candy corn to me which I love. I also really like the white chocolate fondant by albert uster. Tastes wonderful.

No reason to get upset over what amounts to a matter of personal taste! icon_smile.gif

I can't STAND the taste of candy corn...bleargh! icon_lol.gif

Anyway, MMF is so cheap and easy to make that for anyone who is looking for a convenient alternative to inexpensive premade (e.g., Wilton) it's certainly worth trying a few times. And if you don't like it, then move on to the more expensive stuff or the kind that requires harder-to-get ingredients.

LeonardoLi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeonardoLi Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:39am
post #14 of 21

If I order it online, it will cost me a bunch for shipping. So, I make my own fondant rather than buy it. It is glucose based and it`s work and taste perfectly every time. For me it is very important that I can adjust the consistency depending of humidity.

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:38pm
post #15 of 21

Hm looking at how much it would cost ( I can only buy the corn syrup from one particular shop in the uk and it is not cheap) I think the price I am paying of £8 per 2.5kg does not warrant the effort of making it myself.
Maybe I will try it one day when I have a sec, along with all the other things I am going to try one day lol

hollyml Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 12:40am
post #16 of 21

I would think you could use golden syrup (isn't that the common UK product?) instead of corn syrup.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 12:46am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyml

I would think you could use golden syrup (isn't that the common UK product?) instead of corn syrup.

What is "golden syrup" made from? I know that you can use the dark corn syrup but I'm not sure if just any syrup would work.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne1873

Hm looking at how much it would cost ( I can only buy the corn syrup from one particular shop in the uk and it is not cheap) I think the price I am paying of £8 per 2.5kg does not warrant the effort of making it myself.
Maybe I will try it one day when I have a sec, along with all the other things I am going to try one day lol

You can make your own corn syrup replacement. When my son was allergic to corn I had to do this in some recipes for him. You might want to Google it for exact directions, take 2 cups sugar to 1 cup water, boil (low) for about 5 minutes till you get a thick syrup. There is your low cost corn syrup replacement. But please like I said please Google it, I'm not sure about the exact time.

dsilvest Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:24am
post #19 of 21

Golden Syrup

Particularly popular in England (where it's also known as light treacle), this liquid sweetener has the consistency of corn syrup and a clear golden color. It's made from evaporated sugar cane juice and has a rich, toasty flavor unmatched by any other sweetener. Golden syrup, the most readily available brand being Lyle's, can be found in some supermarkets and many gourmet markets. It can be used as a substitute for corn syrup in cooking and baking, and for everything from pancake syrup to ice cream topping.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #20 of 21

Oh, and I've always made my own fondant. I just do this for fun, so it's not too much work to make a batch here and there. But I read a post about Fondarific. I ordered their sample pack for $6.00, and got 5 different samples. It just came yesterday so I haven't had a chance to work with it, but it is tasty! I'm in love with the chocolate cherry! thumbs_up.gif

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:09am
post #21 of 21

I would have to agree Wilton's Fondant is nasty. I love the flavor of Satin Ice. I think it actually tastes like marshmallows but it is more costly to use. I do like the fact that it is always the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%