Help Please--How Do I Word This Sentiment???

Decorating By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 12:52am by chubbyalaskagriz

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 13

I just took an order for 2 going away cakes for a church. Very long story short is that the children's pastor is leaving the church because of one particular extended family that has repeatedly given her so much grief that regrettably she went out and found a job with a different church.

Soooo, the senior pastor just called me and ordered the cakes, but was stumbling all over himself when I asked what he wanted on the cakes. It is an awkward position the church is in, considering she is a very good children's pastor and well-liked with the exception of a few choice people. They want to send her off in a nice way.

His ideas: Blessings, Farewell, We'll Miss You, but he admitted these sounded pretty lame and is really open to ideas as far as decorations and wording.

Please help!

12 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 13

God has great plans for you!! Best Wishes!!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 13

I don't see anything wrong with "Blessings". But does the cake really need anything written on it? A beautiful cake is sufficient.
The less said, the better?

ttukat04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttukat04 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 13

Maybe a short benediction verse (or only part of it) such as "May the Lord bless you and keep you. . ." from Numbers 6:24.

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 13

Occther couldn't have said it better..

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 13

There's a song, from possibly the Sound of Music that goes, "So long, farewell, auw (german word for goodbye) Goodbye . . ." It was sung by the children.

And I'm appalled at the situation.

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 13

What about the scripture that says something about the "heart of a child"... You could use that somehow.

Like, maybe, "You will always be loved in the hearts of the children"
Or use the scripture "Come to me with the heart of a child" and a simple "Thank You."

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 13

I don't think you need to put any words on this cake. Just make a pretty cake and that's it.

I usually don't put any words on my cakes. That's a personal preference on my part because if you have bad handwriting it can mess up a pretty cake. BUT, I've learned that the cake doesn't need words, it is the thought that matters and the fact that the person is receiving a cake.

She'll understand why she is being presented with a party or cake without having to put the reason on the cake.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:09pm
post #9 of 13

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Dr. Seuss

We only part to meet again.
John Gay

"Dear friend, we are blessed you passed our way."

"Thank you for your many blessings."

We are better because you passed our way.

You're a very special person
Always destined to go far
I hope the nice folks at (Name of New Company)
Know just how lucky they are

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:16pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

There's a song, from possibly the Sound of Music that goes, "So long, farewell, auw (german word for goodbye) Goodbye . . ." It was sung by the children.

And I'm appalled at the situation.

Auf Wiedersehen

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:28pm
post #11 of 13

thank you. As I started to type I knew there was NO hope.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you everyone! You have given me many helpful suggestions. Since I personally know the 2 parties involved it is hard for me to distance myself and look at this objectively. Many thanks!

chubbyalaskagriz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chubbyalaskagriz Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:52am
post #13 of 13

My recommendation is the cakes can be made without regard for the total circumstances for the staffer's departure- or the dislike of her by one or a few.

Afterall, essentailly every "So Long- We'll Miss You!" is to some degree the exact same situation... not everyone is really always sorry to see a person leave- and not all folks in any work-place are loved and appreciated by all.

Nothing wrong w/ the typical "fluff" line like "Best Wishes", "So Long!", or... "Don't let the door hit you..." (just kidding! icon_smile.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%