Yeah ... A Beginner Question ...

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 5:59am by tesso

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 17

Will one batch of icing (approx. 3 cups) frost and do borders on an 11X15 single layer sheet cake? Thanks

16 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 17

no, you'll probably need that x3, or 4 depending on how thick you put it on. If you have a wilton year book, it will tell you how many cups of icing are needed to ice one of their cake pans, thats very useful to use as a guide.

TheCakerator Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 17

wow ... guess I didn't realize I would need that much .. means yet another trip to the store ...

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 17

Here's the Wilton guide online. They have one for fondant too. A good guide if you aren't sure. HTH

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 17

As a general (GENERAL!) rule of thumb, when I bought supplies, I figured 4 bags of 2-lb p.sugar for every 7 cake mixes. And I always had some icing left over.

An 11x15 takes 2 cake mixes, so that works out to about 1.25 bags of p.sugar. Round to 2 batches of icing.

I never measure by cups. Never. The only reason is that I just can't picture me filling little measuring cups of icing, then scraping it all out, going "One ..... two ...... three......" dunce.gif Just shoot me now. icon_lol.gif

My "system" is not exact ... it's not scientific ... it's just an observation of my own buying and usage patterns. Yours may differ.

But it's a start .... ! icon_wink.gif

TheCakerator Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 17

ok thanks everyone! I made a batch of buttercream dream and I'm guessing it makes about three cups. It was 2LBs of sugar then I scrounged around and found another pound of sugar so I made another half batch. I'm really hoping that will be enough cause I do not want to go to town again.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

As a general (GENERAL!) rule of thumb, when I bought supplies, I figured 4 bags of 2-lb p.sugar for every 7 cake mixes. And I always had some icing left over.

An 11x15 takes 2 cake mixes, so that works out to about 1.25 bags of p.sugar. Round to 2 batches of icing.

I never measure by cups. Never. The only reason is that I just can't picture me filling little measuring cups of icing, then scraping it all out, going "One ..... two ...... three......" dunce.gif Just shoot me now. icon_lol.gif

My "system" is not exact ... it's not scientific ... it's just an observation of my own buying and usage patterns. Yours may differ.

But it's a start .... ! icon_wink.gif

brilliant!! who measures icing by cups? I measure by bags of powder sugar too. THis cake takes two bags of sugar. This one four.. icon_biggrin.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 17

It's really one of my most frustrating cake decorating questions, too!

I make IMBC, but I use a recipe that I modified so that I can use a whole carton of egg whites whithout having 1/3 cartons left sitting around the fridge.

I've never sat there and measured how many cups it made....and I think I know about how much cake it covers but I'm never certain!

emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #9 of 17

uh oh. You lost me with the bags per cake mix. So how many cups of icing does a batch of icing made with a 2-pound bag of p. sugar make?

tesso Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by emccle

uh oh. You lost me with the bags per cake mix. So how many cups of icing does a batch of icing made with a 2-pound bag of p. sugar make?

hon, I think you missed our point. icon_biggrin.gif We DONT measure the icing. we just make a few batches, based on experience, and any left over you just store for next time or use for practicing techniques. (latter being what I use my extra icing for.)

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

and any left over you just store for next time or use for practicing techniques. (latter being what I use my extra icing for.)

...or snacking! icon_lol.gif

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:04am
post #12 of 17

The BC recipe I use calls, originally, for only 1 lb of PS, and claims to be a sufficient amount to fill and frost an 8" or 9" round layer cake or frost a 9x13 cake -- IOW, one "cake mix." I think it yields about 3 cups of frosting, according to the recipe, but I've never measured it either. icon_smile.gif I almost always make at least double, IOW a "bag" of PS worth, because I'm usually doing larger and/or multiple cakes.

So if you count a "batch" of frosting as the amount you can make with one 2 lbs bag of PS, then that equals approximately enough frosting for two "cake mixes" worth of cake (whether you actually use cake mix or not). Totally makes sense to me! Debi's estimate is 4 bags of frosting per 7 mixes, where I'd estimate 4 per 8 using my recipe, which is close enough.

TheCakerator, your 1.5 batches for a single layer will probably be fine as long as you aren't separating into a lot of different colors. (That's one reason I always seem to need more -- I have a hard time figuring out the right proportions to tint for the "base" color vs. the various "accent" colors.) And you don't put it on too thick. icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #13 of 17

I think in lbs. I know I'll use approximately 10% of what it serves in icing... so for a 150 serving wedding cake, I need 15#. For your 35 serving cake, you'll probably use 3 - 3.5# (you'll have enough to decorate too... not just for borders.)

TheCakerator Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 17

ok thanks everyone ... I just plan to ice the cake white ( I have a color flow design for the cake) and hopefully will have enough to do white borders ... this is one of those cakes that I don't REALLY have any desire to do .. agreed to do it and now that the time has come, it doesn't excite me anymore. Know what I mean??

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:13pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

.. agreed to do it and now that the time has come, it doesn't excite me anymore. Know what I mean??

Yes .... I'd be overbooked on caterings and I'd ask, "Who thought booking all of this was a good idea? Oh wait .... that would be me!" icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif

TheCakerator Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:31pm
post #16 of 17

it really isn't a complicated cake by any means .. but I just don't want to do it!

tesso Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:59am
post #17 of 17

i love your avatar.. that looks like one peed off kitty. It looks like he is saying.. "you have to sleep sometime" icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%