Tips On Painting On Fondant

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 10:58pm by Moondance

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 8

I know this question has been asked a lot, but I've read conflicting answers. W

What is the best way to paint on fondant? My idea is to paint on dried fondant/tylose panels, and then when they are dry, adhere them to the cake.

Also, what's the best food coloring to use: gel or powder?

And last...I've found mixed suggestions on the appropriate brushes to use. What is ok to use?

TIA!

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 8

Jade, I think the reason you are finding difference answers is because there are many ways of doing it. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way of doing, nor do I think there is only one way of doing it. icon_smile.gif

Personally I like airbrush colors to paint with, and I use soft artist brushes I find at Michaels, not the cheapest but not the most expensive.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:33am
post #3 of 8

I have used the Americolor gel colors without diluting and I really liked it!
I have also used the Wilton colors diluted with Lemon Extract and that turned out well also.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:07am
post #4 of 8

I used Wilton gels and found the piece never dried completely but remained tacky.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Jade, I think the reason you are finding difference answers is because there are many ways of doing it. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way of doing, nor do I think there is only one way of doing it. icon_smile.gif

Personally I like airbrush colors to paint with, and I use soft artist brushes I find at Michaels, not the cheapest but not the most expensive.

I think you might be right! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone! I'm actually going to get some painting help from a friend with an art background. It'll be her first time using this medium, and really my first time trying to paint an image on fondant.

If this works out how I'm imaging it, it'll be the most awesome cake I've ever made. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 8

Sending you happy thoughts and luck. icon_smile.gif

I've painted on some things, but I'm considering trying some flowers, kind of like the one stroke method. Problem is I have no idea how to really paint either.

Dana62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana62 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 8

I recently did a onestroke painting on fondant and I used Americolor gels and One stroke paint brushes and it came out fantastic. Really not hard to do and I am not an artist at all.
Dana

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 8

If you mix dust colours with a little clear alcohol, you can paint on fondant and it dries back to a nice powdery finish

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%