Need To Make A Smell Cake

Decorating By jessyg Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 10:19pm by FatAndHappy

jessyg Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 16

Ok so here is a different sort of request. One of my bestfriends daughters is on tpn and has all sorts of complicated problems one of them being she can not eat anything. She gets all her nutrition by iv. Her birthday is coming up soon. She is turning four and her request it that she gets a smell cake.

She said since she can not eat it she wants a cake that smells really good.

I am having trouble coming up with ideas and you ladies are great at brainstorming. So I have come to ask for your thoughts and ideas.
I have a few ideas,but where would you start?

The cake does not hav to be ediable as there will be another cake there too. (long story)

15 replies
jessyg Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 16

Oops just noticed all the spelling errors and mistakes. Sorry icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 16

I love the smell of coconut or key lime cake - strawberry cakes smell good too

LilaLoa Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 16

You could make a dummy cake. You know those oils in the candle/fragrance/potpourri aisle? Some of those smell delicious! You could get a bottle of one of those and mix it in with your fondant since no one will be eating it.

skmokis Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 16

If the cake doesn't have to be edible I would take a cake dummy and hollow the inside out that way you could put a Yankee candle Jar inside. I would make sure that there is an inch of space between the jar and the cake dummy wall for the heat. Then just decorate the cake dummy just like a normal cake. Decorate the top where the opening is with flowers to hide it but just leave it open because of the flame. I know yankee candle makes smells like buttercream, cupcake, and all kinds of baked goods smells. I know Glade or fabreeze makes a machine that you can put a scented disk in and it warms up the wax or whatever it is in there that way you wouldn't have to worry about the flame. Just use the same method as for the candle. You would have to cut out a small notch at the bottom of the cake dummy for the cord so it can sit flat on the table. I'm pretty sure there is one disk that has buttercream scent. I think there is 5 or 6 different scents on one disk. Hope this helps you out a little.

KathysCC Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 16

Cream bouquet and clear vanilla have the smell of a bakery. To try it out, put about 1/4 teaspoon each of these flavorings in about a cup of water and bring them to a slow simmer on the stove. Your house will smell like a bakery.

I suggest putting these flavorings in some water and putting them in a potpourri pot or some kind of warmer with a candle underneath. You will definitely get the "cake" smell.

You can also use them in the cake that you bake as well as the icing. They will have a wonderful old-fashioned bakery cake smell.

jessyg Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 16

These are some great ideas I forgot to mention that the little girl is usually in a hospital bed 99% of the day. I think she wants it to be something she can hold.

Do you think the candle scents mixed with fondant would make the fondant too sticky?

LilaLoa Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 16

I think if you use the scented oils you would have to

a) make your own fondant and add it in during the mixing process

or

b) rub it all over the dummy before putting the fondant on

cheatize Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:11pm
post #9 of 16

She's in a bed, but is it at home or in the hospital? I like the dummy cake idea. If she's at home, you could make a cake at her house so the smell wafts through the house for hours and hours. Whatever flavor you choose, you could also buy her some flavored lip balm so she can recreate the experience whenever she wants.

jessyg Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 16

She is in the hospital so no baking there icon_sad.gif

Edit Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:37pm
post #11 of 16

May God bless this little girl...

3GCakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 16

I love the smell of almond...more than vanilla. I have actually dabbed almond behind my ears before hubby gets home.

I think the dummy cake with the different smells is a great idea.

Montrealconfections Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 16

She sounds like sweet girl, why don't you have a little smell game/party before you make the cake. Have her sample a few scents till she finds the one that she likes. I know the candy flavors smell pretty strong she could have a good laugh sniffing these maybe have her sniff some coffee between sniffs lol.

jessyg Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:53am
post #14 of 16

All great ideas, Thank you everyone.
I think I'll attempt this with a dummy cake and heavily scented fondant.
I'm sure I'll be back woth more questions. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:14pm
post #15 of 16

have you ever seen those fake pies, I think they're made of salt/water/flour dough and they look real and they smell real but they're fake??

I wonder if you could make something like that but to look like a cake for her, that she could keep and SMELL all the time!!??

check these out!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/11011309/cupcake-soap-hot-processed-real-soap

FatAndHappy Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:19pm
post #16 of 16

What if you did cupcakes in an icecream cone - you know with the batter baked in the cake cones. The "scent" the icing with anything - flavors edible or not an she could hold the ice cream cones since they are kids hand friendly. You could do tons of scents - mix pink lemonade mix, bubblegum, etc. Maybe even let her guess what they are. Mix scents and let her name them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%