Making Gumpaste

Baking By rara1975 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 7:25am by Ballymena

rara1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rara1975 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all

I am a huge lurker for a few months now but decided I needed to brave it to ask this question! lol

I was trawling through the board today and found a recommendation for home made gumpaste (sorry I cant remember exactly by it could be by a Nikky somebody) - anyway, every raved about it so I thought I would give it a go.

I have made the gumpaste tonight and it is currently sitting in my freezer chilling, so that afterwards I can work it and store it in little balls. My question is though - when I was kind of kneading it, the instructions said to add another cup and a third of powdered sugar on the countertop and work it in, but it seems very flaky. Could anyone who recognises this recipe comment and tell me if thats how it should look before it cools and I work it into a stretchy consistency?

Thanks in advance for all your patience.

3 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 4

If you are talking about the Nicolas Lodge recipe it probably just needs some more glycerin added to it if it is flaky. If I remember correctly, he says to refrigerate it over night and then knead in small amounts of shortening to just the amount you are using at the time. Excess, fresh gumpaste can be frozen and used later. Just let it come to room temperature on its own.

Nick's gumpaste is very soft, but it is really good. It does need the shortening added to it after it has proofed over night. Work in small batches to prevent the excess from drying too much. Even at room temperature, Nick's recipe will be good for at least a week.

HTH

Michele

rara1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rara1975 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, that's makes sense! Lol. The version I downloaded didn't mention adding shortening at the end. Thanks a million.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:25am
post #4 of 4

I need to try it, gumpaste is so expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%