Ribbons On Buttercream

Decorating By KutieKakes Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm by KutieKakes

KutieKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KutieKakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing my first wedding cake in a couple weeks. Not too worried about it, but she wants a ribbon at the bottom of the cake(see it all the time). I am just worried that my buttercream will grease up the ribbon. Is that a valid worry or does it not happen since you see it on almost every cake?

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 5

it DOES happen.......you can either fight it or accept it. Personally I just accept it! I used to grease the whole ribbon ahead of time so it was evenly greased.........now I just run the ribbon under water slide it through my fingers to get off the excess and wrap it around the cake......since it's evenly wet, the grease marks don't show and leave wet splotches on the ribbon.

If you want to FIGHT it, you can line the back of the ribbon w/ clear packaging tape or I've also heard of some that iron wax paper onto the back of the ribbon, once cool peel the wax paper off and it will leave a coating of wax on the ribbon protecting it from the grease.

HTH

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 5

Yes it will. To prevent this from happening I cut a piece of wax paper the same size as my ribbon and put it on the cake first then cover with the ribbon. I attach it them together at the back. Since it isn't "stuck" to the cake it makes it easy to remove for cutting. thumbs_up.gif

poptart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poptart Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 5

I just did this for a wedding cake and the color of the ribbon changes significantly. I don't know, maybe I used the wrong type of ribbon, but it went from lighter color of lime green to a dark green?? Just something to think about if you are going for a very specific color. They do make water proof ribbon, but I am not sure of the cost.

KutieKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KutieKakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 5

THANKS! You guys are awesome! Definitely will try either the tape or wax paper...maybe both. icon_biggrin.gif Love this site!
~Kelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%