Wedding Cake Delivery, What To Bring?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 3:57am by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 11

This weekend is the first wedding cake that I have ever done and I've had to as a ton of questions regarding it already. But, I have couple more! What do I need to bring when I delivery the cake. The wedding and reception are both at a church (not sure what kind of room) so a caterer will not be cutting the cake. It will be a family member or friend or something. Anyway, here is what I have thought of so far. Please tell me what I am forgetting.
-cakes (wedding and grooms)
-extra icing for repairs
-extra fondant circles (its a white buttercream cake with white fondant dots) in case of mishap
-cutting guides for 6,8,10,12 and 9x13 cakes

What else?

10 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 11

Don't forget any tips, bags, or spatulas you might need to do any repairs.
And your camera - for photos!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

-cutting guides for 6,8,10,12 and 9x13 cakes

ONE cutting guide, as it's the same for each size.
http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/cake%20comb
This one that indydebi did is the best one with directions and pictures. I copied it over to word and modified it a little bit since the one she did is written more towards decorators.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 11

A level to check the table and perhaps some shims for it.

cakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesandbakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 11

I always take my "crash kit", although in all my years of decorating I've only had boo-boos and no major crashes! I carry a plastic caddy that I think is suppose to be used for carrying cleaning supplies, I got it at Wal-mart.
In it I always have: scissors, wire cutters, extra dowels and straws, gloves, a spatula for lifting tiers, a fondant smoother and vivas, a roll of regular paper towels, and a small piece of cardboard in case their topper needs some support.
To it I add EVERY bag and tip used on said cake, you never know what you may want to touch up.

Oh and I do have a mini bottle of vodka and a paint brush for adding pearl dust last minute, if the cake calls for that.

Hope this helps and good luck! You may not touch most of the items I take along but if you happen to need it you'll be glad you had it.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 11

aside from what has been mentioned - Scissors or exacto knife, gloves, viva, doubles of decorations in case anything breaks

confectionsofahousewife Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks guys! That is most helpful. Now hopefully I won't forget anything...

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:54am
post #8 of 11

dont forget the "How to disassemble the cake instructions"!!
Or the "what is to be saved and returned to the baker sheet" !!

You would be amazed at how many people are totally clueless on how to seperate tiers, unstack a cake or even think to remove dowel rods, straws etc. Some dont even know the supports are in there. If I am not serving the cake I always leave how to cut, how to disassemble, and What to save to be returned to baker instructions. they are greatly appreciated by whomever is cutting the cake. Listen sometime, you will hear the cake server saying...I dont know what I am doing, I dont know what to do with this.. icon_lol.gif

also everything mentioned above. thumbs_up.gif

confectionsofahousewife Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:05am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

I was wondering that. Especially the how to disassemble! How do you word that so that it is understandable? Do you have a standard sheet that you've typed up that you bring with you?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

I was wondering that. Especially the how to disassemble! How do you word that so that it is understandable? Do you have a standard sheet that you've typed up that you bring with you?

Nope, I dont have a standard sheet because each cake is usually different either in assembly or what items are on the cake that is non-edible. Fresh flowers and beading seems to be the thing around here. So there are always things that need removed.

edited to add: I was going to email an instruction sheet that I had done, but my computer is telling me the document is not there icon_mad.gif I hope I didnt delete it and it is just lost in my documents somewhere.. off to to a computer search.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:57am
post #11 of 11

I am going to type up something about disassembly. There isn't anything non edible on the cake just the dowels in the cake. Thanks for the ideas and hope you find your document Tesso!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%