I Hate Cupcakes.....

Lounge By BillieH Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 12:53am by luvmysmoother

BillieH Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 12

because I can never get 24 out of a cake mix. icon_cry.gificon_mad.gif

11 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 12

What mix are you using? I use Betty Crocker which is a 510 g box and I can get 24..

BillieH Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 12

I use Pillsbury (517g). It says to fill 2/3 full. I think that's where I'm going wrong every time. I don't eye 2/3's very well lol. Some are always bigger than others. Last time I made cupcake I got 22 out of the batter.

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 12

It takes practice.Fill them less than 2/3 and then add to them after you get 24.

leily Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 12

i use a cookie scoop (i think it's a scoop #20) so that the same amount goes into each cupcake.

If you have any pampered chef cookie scoops it's the large one (and on the inside there is a number imprinted on it for the scoop size)

BillieH Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 12

Thank-you! I'll give that a try. icon_smile.gif I picked up another pan recently so maybe that will help too; to see them all filled at once. Thanks so much for replying!

BillieH Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

i use a cookie scoop (i think it's a scoop #20) so that the same amount goes into each cupcake.

If you have any pampered chef cookie scoops it's the large one (and on the inside there is a number imprinted on it for the scoop size)

Thank-you, I never thought of that. I don't have a pampered chef one, but I'll use the one I have. At least that will give me even amounts to start off with. Thanks for replying! icon_biggrin.gif

Jenniferkay Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 12

i use half a batch of wasc and a #20 scoop and can get 24 and probably a few more. using a scoop makes all the difference in the world. I round my #20 a little b/c mine have to go into boxes and i need them a little more full.

BillieH Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 12

Victory! I have 24 nearly perfect cupcakes! Just need to tweak how many scoops I use. My cookie scoop is pretty small. I'll have to check out the pampered chef one. Thanks so much for all the wonderful tips! icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 12

scoops are great aren't they. I use them all the time and have a bunch of different sizes on hand. If we didn't have them where I work it would be a pain in the butt. By having the proper amount of batter you get the same amount in each cupcake. This usually saves you a little money because you are getting a few more count wise out of the same batter. That and it makes a more uniform product.

leily Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieH

Victory! I have 24 nearly perfect cupcakes! Just need to tweak how many scoops I use. My cookie scoop is pretty small. I'll have to check out the pampered chef one. Thanks so much for all the wonderful tips! icon_smile.gif

It doesn't necessarily have to be pampered chef, i just always refer to that because a lot of people "get it" when is say that. If you have a kitchen store near your (or wholesale restaurant store that is open to the public) then stop in and ask if they have a Portion scoop, size #20. The one I got at the local restaurant supply store has a yellow handle, i think this is a standard color, but could be wrong, maybe it's just the brand that they had.

luvmysmoother Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #12 of 12

I know others don't agree with adding extra flour to the cake mix but if I add a box of pudding mix plus a 1/2 cup flour and an extra egg I get a good 24 cupcakes out of the mix without getting upset about getting only 18 or 19 using straight cake mix onlyicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%