Shiny Fondant- What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By mil5nov Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 9:31am by brincess_b

mil5nov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mil5nov Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everybody.
I'm making a laptop cake for my DH.
I figured out how to make screen, keyboard...
I made trial fondant to cover cake and I would like to add glossy, plastic like finish.
I checked whole forum for the ideas. Now I tried steaming, 50/50 glucose and vodka and edible varnish that I found on this website.
So results are: steaming- not giving any shine at all, 50/50 yes very glossy looking nice but not drying at all, edible varnish nice shine but I can see brush strokes and even though it dried when I touch it varnish is sticky and peal off.
What am I doing wrong?
I still have time (27.06) but would like to try it before actual cake.
Any help appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 15

On the TV in my albums I just used black gell color mixed with vodka and brushed on. I did let it dry for a full day and it turned out looking just like plastic. It WAS very tacky for about the first 18 of those hours!LOL! But the brush strokes didn't show up and it did dry.

mil5nov Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

black gell color mixed with vodka and brushed on.

I read about this but I'm in Ireland and I can get it only online. DH doesn't know about that cake- I want it to be little surprise- and he would definitely figure out my idea when I order it online so I can work only with stuff I buy in store and I don't know about any craft stores in Dublin icon_sad.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 15

Maybe just the vodka then? He may think you have an afternoon drinking problem but it might work! LOL!

I'm in the US (California) and in a city so I'm totally spoiled with craft stores everywhere and a cake supply store 10 mins away...keep forgetting that there are places, even here in the US, where that is a total luxury to have so nearby. I have a friend who lives outside London and she doesn't have any of this either...she was amazed when she came to visit...and yet, I'm a bit jealous of the life she leads too with the charming town life feel and grocery shopping each day to pick up fresh goods. Maybe perfect is a mix of the two? I'd love to visit your part of the world someday...being Irish American I'd love to see where my great grandparents lived as children.

Cat

mil5nov Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 15

Is it gonna stay shiny when alcohol evaporate?
I'm Polish living in Ireland only 3 years and sometimes I'm really annoyed I can't get things that I would get at home without any problems. Well have to manage somehow icon_smile.gif

mil5nov Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 15

Any other ideas?

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 15

what about shortening? I have never tried it, but it might work.

mil5nov Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 15

Shortening gives a shine that will lessen with time and I need solution that will stay shiny

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 15

try a spray oil like Pam in the can...

mil5nov Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 15

We don't have pam in here and oil is shortening as well-will lessen with time

mil5nov Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 15

Why is my 50/50 not drying? I don't get it. From all samples it has the best shine. It's just so wet and sticky...

mil5nov Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:10am
post #12 of 15

Is there no help for me? icon_cry.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:46am
post #13 of 15

I've seen confectioner's glaze in a spray can, but that's probably something you'd have to find online.

mil5nov Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:11am
post #14 of 15

Yes I know, but as I said before online is out of question. DH would notice

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:31am
post #15 of 15

you are just going to have to make do with what you have. i would take the 50/50 mix and just not touch it!
i would imagine you can get something similar to the spray on pam, you can in the uk, its worth a shot if the other options are out.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%