I Am New To Fondant With A Question!

Decorating By lelu02 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 12:33am by hollyml

lelu02 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 7

I am checking out all these beautiful cake ideas for my sons upcoming baptism. I want to make a cross that stands up. I will either make it out of chocolate mold or fondant. How would I attatch it so it doesn't fall over or break? Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

6 replies
catlharper Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 7

Make the cross out of a mix of fondant/tylose and let it dry for a few hours so it sets up...then take a skewer and insert it thru the bottom leaving a few inches sticking out and then let the cross continue to dry till rock hard (this make take a few days depending on the size of the cross) and then you will be able to insert the skewer into the cake and have it stand up. The thickness of the skewer will depend on how big the cross is. If the cross is tiny, just a few inches tall, you can also use a toothpick since something so small won't be heavy. HTH Cat

lelu02 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks Cat.....how much tylose should I add to the fondant?

eccl1-12 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 7

If it is a fairly large cross, I would recommend cutting it out of a couple sheets of foamcore and covering them with fondant- a trick someone around here gave me for a sword plaque that I was making. Foamcore is very strong and plain fondant sticks to it well also. Of course this would make the cross inedible. You could also put a couple skewers between the layers of foamcore for thickness and to stick into the cake to make it stand up. If you go with this method, make it as far ahead as you like and let it dry. Nobody is going to eat it anyway. Just keep it covered with parchment or something to keep the dust off.

catlharper Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 7

I add about a tsp to each cup of fondant. Dries hard but not too fast to work with if I need to add in details. And, yes, I agree with the foamcore idea for a cross that is too heavy...anything over 5 inches would weigh too much to put on the cake without dowels in the cake to help keep it from sinking into the cake.

lelu02 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 7

Foam is a great idea too. Thank you so much for your help, it gives me some options.

hollyml Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:33am
post #7 of 7

If you use chocolate mold, after it is set, you can stick the cross and a supporting skewer or popsicle stick together with more candy melt. Just lay the cross face down on some waxed paper with the stick on the back and use a piping bag or squeeze bottle to coat the attachment area with melted chocolate, and leave the stick in place until that is set.

Of course this leaves you with a definite back side -- the attachment will look kinda messy -- unless you sandwich the stick in between two crosses or something like that. So whether this works depends on the overall design of your cake, but it's very easy to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%