Fondant Smoothers?

Decorating By laura4795 Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 5:56pm by AlanT

laura4795 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 7

I'm a cake newbie, so I'm still acquiring supplies. I'm getting ready to place a GSA order and am thinking of adding a fondant smoother.

How necessary are they? Will they make a big difference in the way my cakes look? Right now I just smooth them with my hands. Would a fondant smoother make things a lot easier or help my cakes look a lot better?

6 replies
Donnagardner Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 7

They are absolutely needed for fondant. You need two to get sharp edges. I bought some from sugaredproductions.com and really like them better than the wilton ones because they are bigger.

Elcee Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 7

Get two. It really makes a world of difference. I use mine with the viva method for my buttercream, too.

mamawrobin Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with Elcee, get two of them. I have the Wilton fondant smoothers and I love them. There's no way to get your fondant smooth without the smoothers. Using two when smoothing you're able to get sharper edges.

Elcee Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I agree with Elcee

\\

Great minds... icon_lol.gif

jewels710 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:13am
post #6 of 7

Playing devils advocate....and if they are wiltons, why would anyone order something online and pay shipping when you could get them from michaels with 40% off coupons???
Unless you dont have a michaels/joanns or hobby lobby around you.
Just food for thought.

AlanT Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 7

We sell fondant smoothers from several manufacturers. My preference is are the JEM smoothers which are larger. I also like the smoothers from Fat Daddio's. Alan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%