???adding Filling In A Cake???

Decorating By erinmedina Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 12:15am by artscallion

erinmedina Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 9

ive seen instuctions on filling a cupcake, is it the same for regular cakes? Do you just poke like 4 holes and fill them slightly? Any help would be appreciated!

8 replies
artscallion Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 9

That link's a great resource, Texas. But haha! You can tell Wilton uses their own slant-sided pans. Look at the hourglass figure on that cake!

erinmedina Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 9

I notice i didnt specify the filling. I need to add filling in the cake like raspberry filling inside a chocolate cake! do i add it in between the layers or jab it in the cake and fill it?

leily Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmedina

I notice i didnt specify the filling. I need to add filling in the cake like raspberry filling inside a chocolate cake! do i add it in between the layers or jab it in the cake and fill it?

You can add it between layers, or if you are only doing a 2" tall cake, cut it in half and then follow the directions that TexasSugar linked to.

JaeRodriguez Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 9

Just make sure you pipe the circle of BC around the bottom layer then fill with the filling and the circle of BC will keep your filling from oozing out! :]

ETA: When I say "the circle of BC" I'm talking about the way Texas's link shows, just in case I confused you! icon_razz.gif

LindaF144a Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

That link's a great resource, Texas. But haha! You can tell Wilton uses their own slant-sided pans. Look at the hourglass figure on that cake!

Yeah, I have four of those worthless pans. I have been using them and wondering why I get that look on the side. Good thing lots of icing helps to hide it. icon_wink.gif Then I read on CC about straight sided pans, changed the way I bake.

Now I have to figure out what to do with all the worthless pans.

To the OP - the dam showed on the site Texasugar is important. Otherwise the raspberry filling will ooze out. And putting it in between layers is the easiest and best way to make sure that every piece has the filling. If you poke holes and fill it, then someone will be all the filling and someone won't. icon_wink.gif

nutcase68 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 9

My cake instructor gave me this tip and it worked fine for the cake I am presently wworking on. Cut a circle about a half inch from the edge. Scoop out the cake, leaving about a 1 inch circle in the middle to support your cake. Scoop out the top of the cake, easier to do. Do not over fill. Place your next cake top side down on the filling. Viola! no oozing filling or unsightly bulges. Plus you have cake to eat. That is always a plus. Level the cakes if you need to first.
Mary

artscallion Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 12:15am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase68

My cake instructor gave me this tip and it worked fine for the cake I am presently wworking on. Cut a circle about a half inch from the edge. Scoop out the cake, leaving about a 1 inch circle in the middle to support your cake. Scoop out the top of the cake, easier to do. Do not over fill. Place your next cake top side down on the filling. Viola! no oozing filling or unsightly bulges. Plus you have cake to eat. That is always a plus. Level the cakes if you need to first.
Mary

Interesting idea. Like a tunnel of filling. I'll have to try that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%